Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
Well, I've been having MASSIVE throttle hang...the problem gets worse every day. I have heard of the TH fix, but I was just wondering how hard it would be for a newbie DIY-er...I've never worked on engines or anything like that....Cosmetics I can do but engines scare me. I had Ford "fix" the problem but that didn't do anything and I was out 250 bucks. And now the problem has returned.

Second, it seems that my secondaries are opening later than normal (4k-4500)...

Last and most annoying is that when I come to a stop, my car almost dies...I have had a few occasions where it drops to 0RPM and then shoots back up. I have no idea what to do, the clutch feels fine (catches early and everything), brake fluid is 3/5 way full.

I have hardly any money to make repairs but I don't need to buy a new engine. I don't know of any good repair shops around here. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks

1998 Contour SVT E0 Silver Frost
#3623 of 6535 B-day:09/18/97
My CEG Profile
My Car's Website
My Photo Albulm
"Life is full of conflicts; it's the moments of peace that we must cherish"-Me
L
Lee Offline
L
Take the car back and have the Ford Dealer Fix it. You paid for it to be fixed and it should be. Also it shouldn't cost you anymore. Incorrect diagnosis is their problem.

As far as the dieing at idle. If you don't have a CEL then reset then computer. It also seems like the car might need a Throttle Body and upper end cleaning. Maybe the EGR Vavle replaced.

Lee Cox
In life begins responsability...
Project Car
Y
Y
The TH fix is simple to do and will cost less than $1. You may have to experiment with different size holes. You will want to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes to reset the computer. This might also help to clear up your low idling problems.

If the TH fix doesn't work, it may be the IAC valve, throttle body, or throttle positioning sensor. Agree with the statement about the cleaning. I've suffered from severe throttle hang (throttle rise is more like it) in the past, and have ended up replacing the IAC valve, throttle body, among other things. Seems to be a recurring problem. We'll see...

Can't help you on the issue with the secondaries.

C
C
I have the same problem, My car's rpm's slowly bounce between 500-1000 rpms at idle, sometimes. but 85% of the time it's okay. Why? I have had all 4 O2 sesors replaced, and no CEL has come on. Is this a problem associated with TH? I haven't done the easy fit b/c I am engine shy as well, but I can wax on, wax off like the Karate Kid! laugh

1998 Silver Frost Contour SVT #1031/6535
~a few mods~
M
MLT Offline
M
Just try wacking the solenoid attached to the side of the trottle body.

I've been having massive throttle hang for the last month, and after reading a thread last night that identified the IAC solenoid, this morning I started the car, popped the hood, and wacked the solenoid which is attached to the throttle body a few times with the handle of a screw driver.

Did not have any occurance of throttle hang during driving today.

Coincidence??? Time will tell, but the problems gone for now!

D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by MLT:
Just try wacking the solenoid attached to the side of the trottle body.
There is nothing attached to the throttle body but the TPS & 2 cables.

The IAC is on the firewall side of the UIM.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard