#583519 03/24/03 07:57 PM
K
kjsol Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
How did the install turn out?

Married the gal of my dreams 04.27.02 Now a Troll 2003 Subaru Legacy L Wagon. Two people I hold close to my heart have passed from this earth. My Grandmother Mary Gorman and my good friend John Son. May they rest in peace.
#583520 03/25/03 05:00 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Not bad.

It's a long story really...had to leave my car up in Fredneck for the night.

Went back today, shimmed the brakes and they work fine.

Question for you - on yours, how hard did you have to depress your brakes for them to grab on? I still need to season the rotors and bed them, but initial feel, even after a 2nd bleeding, is that they are still a bit mushy. Is this typical? (I expected a slight depress of the brakes would result in a virtual necksnap considering how big they are.) Any feedback on how your brakes were would be helpful.

Thanks again for your help - it went a long way!

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#583521 03/25/03 02:57 PM
K
kjsol Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
I would push down about a quarter inch and they would grab. Remember that they are still using the ABS system installed which doesn't really give a lot to be "thankful" for. Threshold braking is still the best (the point right before full lock). Once you get them "broken in" the fun really begins. Press with all your might at a buck and you stop really quick. Do it time and time again and you find they don't fade at all. When I did mind I put Mutol (sp?) 600 brake fluid in so that might have something to do with it. When you do go for full brakes watch the A$$ end. It tends to try and come around you. As Andy enlighted me I will enlighted you. In the case you have the cross-drilled units you have to watch the build up of brake dust in there. I am pretty sure my rotors were toast when I traded the car in. The ability to brake depends a lot on the rubber you have so you have to take that into account as well. My pads wore out after a couple of months of use so getting a spare set is ideal. Once they start to squeal (please no jokes I know what I said ... ) replace them at once. I let mine go for a little bit and the pads starting the metal on metal action. Good luck on them and I was glad to help, just wish I could have been there for the install.

Married the gal of my dreams 04.27.02 Now a Troll 2003 Subaru Legacy L Wagon. Two people I hold close to my heart have passed from this earth. My Grandmother Mary Gorman and my good friend John Son. May they rest in peace.
#583522 03/25/03 03:02 PM
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Originally posted by kjsol:
As Andy enlighted me I will enlighted you.

*Sniff sniff*

I enlightened someone! KJ I think that the sweetest thing that has ever been said about me!
LOL!

Pete,
What did you do?? Baer kit? What fluid and did you get SS brake lines?

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#583523 03/25/03 03:44 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
KJ,
Thanks for the input. Mine are only slotted, no x-drilling. I'm finding it a bit disturbing that it only took a 1/4" for yours to kick in. Mine are taking a hell of a lot more thatn that. But like I said - I still need to season the rotors and bed the pads before I really test them out.

I'm hunting for a 2nd car so hopefully replacing the pads after only a couple few months like you did wont be necessary!

Andy,
Baer 12" Sport System slotted
ATE Super Blue brake fluid - bled twice
Could not get the lines off the rears to do the SS lines

#583524 03/25/03 04:10 PM
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Did you bleed the clutch?

When you bleed the bears did you bleed both pots. with the nipples up?
-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#583525 03/25/03 04:14 PM
K
kjsol Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Uh huh huh ... he said nipples.

Pete. I can't rememeber the person's rears I did but I know I put SS lines all around on someone's. If you need help with it let me know.

#583526 03/25/03 05:08 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by Andy W.:
Did you bleed the clutch?

When you bleed the bears did you bleed both pots. with the nipples up?
-Andy

KJ and Andy, I have no idea. Josh did the majority of the install....I'll have him take a look at this thread.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard