Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

Lock, Unlock, and Panic work on my keyless entry, but the blue Trunk button wont pop the trunk open.

I can open the trunk with a key, and with the lever by the driver's seat. But nothing happens when I press the button on my keyless entry pad. It used to be that even if the trunk was already open, you'd hear the latch release when you pressed the keyless entry button, but now nothing happens at all. I have to manually release the trunk with the lever by the drivers seat.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS TAKEN:

I completely cleaned my keyless entry remote. Took it apart, cleaned the contacts, changed batteries, the works.

THEORY AND QUESTIONS:

I assume the receiver in the car is still working since the keyless remote still locks/unlocks doors and sends the car into panic mode when I press the panic button. However, I don't know how this system works from there.

I also assume there must be some electric "popping" device installed at or near the trunk latch that releases the trunk when the keyless receiver receives the right code from my remote. Maybe that "popping" device is the culprit?

Any other idea's or troubleshooting steps I should try?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I'm in the same boat, except my key won't work either The key cylinder is majorly gunked up with road grime, and after a thorough cleaning one of the tumblers still is stuck. Oh, well, enough of my problems...

The keyless entry for the trunk triggers a relay that then energizes a solenoid in the trunk that pushes a rod that moves the lever that opens the trunk latch. The relay is under the passenger side dash, and if you hear it click when you press the button then the problem is downstream electrically from there. My relay clicks, so I need to pull the solenoid and test to see if it's receiving the signal. The solenoid is under the rear plastic panel where the trunk latch is, there's 2 plastic push fasteners and 4 screws securing that panel. The solenoid is then under the sheetmetal, look for the 2 torx screws to the driver's side of the latch; those secure the solenoid.

Good luck,

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
if the trunk lock mechanism is sluggish or stuck try gaining access to the mechanism and spraying it with penetrating oil. Wait about a day or so and if you want spray it again and wait another day.

Or use the key and easily try to work the lock, not too hard though, you don't want to break the key.

I've heard of a few people that has stuck or sluggish key locks on the trunk and a quick spray with some penetrating oil brought it back to like new.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by rkneeshaw:
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

Lock, Unlock, and Panic work on my keyless entry, but the blue Trunk button wont pop the trunk open.

I can open the trunk with a key, and with the lever by the driver's seat. But nothing happens when I press the button on my keyless entry pad. It used to be that even if the trunk was already open, you'd hear the latch release when you pressed the keyless entry button, but now nothing happens at all. I have to manually release the trunk with the lever by the drivers seat.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS TAKEN:

I completely cleaned my keyless entry remote. Took it apart, cleaned the contacts, changed batteries, the works.

THEORY AND QUESTIONS:

I assume the receiver in the car is still working since the keyless remote still locks/unlocks doors and sends the car into panic mode when I press the panic button. However, I don't know how this system works from there.

I also assume there must be some electric "popping" device installed at or near the trunk latch that releases the trunk when the keyless receiver receives the right code from my remote. Maybe that "popping" device is the culprit?

Any other idea's or troubleshooting steps I should try?

I had the same problem a few years ago. In my case, it was a stuck solenoid in the receiving unit. Luckily, the car was still under warranty at the time.

Based on his identical problem, you and Pidgeon should get together ...

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
mine does it in the winter only. i can hear the release popping but trunk wont open. using the driver side release i can get the trunk open. everything is good now til next winter.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
I thought I was the only one this happened too... It will work in the winter however.. If I pull up on the tab inside to car at the same time when someone lifts the trunk.

Black 98.5 SVT "Kellie" First rule of italian driving: What is behind you, DOESN'T matter
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Some of you having problems with the trunk "popping" up, or springing up, might be interested in this I found doing a search:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=110473&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I'm adding that to my list of parts next time I order from Bill Jenkins. I'll probably end up having to replace that selenoid too it look like.

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
I had the exact same problem, and I couldnt get in my trunk because the key never worked and I had the lock out on so I couldn't even open it from the release in the car. It ended up being the trunk relay and the dealer changed it and no problems since.

1998 BLK SVT CONTOUR #2980 of 6535 395,000(ish) km (and counting) SVTOA-TORONTO Chapter Director www.svtoa-toronto.ca
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by lauraq:
I had the exact same problem, and I couldnt get in my trunk because the key never worked and I had the lock out on so I couldn't even open it from the release in the car. It ended up being the trunk relay and the dealer changed it and no problems since.

Laura, I have this same problem everytime it gets cold, and I even had my delar replace the actuator last year, but it still does it when it is cold (and ofcourse not when I take it to the dealer). Most of this winter I had to resort to uing the key as even the inside realase didn't work unless someone was lifting up on the trunk when I released it.

Anyways, this just reminded me of a story I heard about you adventure of getting into your trunk one time with Alex If you can't tell I'm bored right now

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by hmouta:
mine does it in the winter only. i can hear the release popping but trunk wont open. using the driver side release i can get the trunk open. everything is good now til next winter.

wow, i guess it is more common than i thought. through winter, very rarely will the remote or driver's side latch work, i could only get it open with the key. i could here it popping, but it just wouldn't quite unlatch. but as soon as the warmer weather hit, no problem either way!

98 SE 24V DOHC MTX -17" konig tantrums wrapped in 215/45ZR17 Falken Azenis ST115, sho shop cold air intake, arospeed sport muffler, taurus 24V badges, custom painted grille, stock foglights added,
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard