Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
C
If you run a lower profile tire and the outside diameter of the tires(16vs17)is the same, shouldn't the output at the wheels be the same or higher with whichever wheel/tire combo is lighter overall?Just a thought.

2000 Contour SE,All stock and lots a fun,But I have plans
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
You have to factor in weight too....and how the weight is disributed between the tires and rims....and what your asking about best combo, do you want peoples opinions??? Reason i ask is becasue i think most of the people here use a different tire and rims brand ( ok maybe just different rims).

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
E
ezsvt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Interestingly enough, I changed my tires today to the 17s, and weighed both sets of tires/rims.

The SVT 16" w/Blizzak Tires were 40 pounds each
The SSR 17" w/Firehawk SZ-50EPs were 35 pounds each.

For me 5 pounds less per wheel, I think the numbers might stack up ok for the dyno.

00 SVT Contour: SHM LT headers, LSD, Spec Stg 3...dyno:190.3whp sold 02/04 04 Subaru Baja Turbo 5-spd 00 Camaro SS 393cid: 510rwhp/469rwtq, 11.16 @ 124.95(hit 1-2 limiter) www.erikz.org
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Find a Dynapack dynamometer. The dyno attaches directly to the hub and therefore any suspension and wheel problems are not shown in the dyno. They are rather rare though.

Dan Acura Integra GS-R w/mods Former owner of a 95 SE
N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
Take a look at the Tirerack article in the latest edition of "Grassroots Motorsports". The writer details pros & cons using a Mazda Miata and going from 13" to 15" wheels. For now, I'll keep my 15" wheels on my ES and focus on higher performance tires.

Nathan

D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ezsvt:
The SVT 16" w/Blizzak Tires were 40 pounds each
The SSR 17" w/Firehawk SZ-50EPs were 35 pounds each.

For me 5 pounds less per wheel, I think the numbers might stack up ok for the dyno.

Even with the same tire diameter, bigger wheels (or wider) will cause a loss of wheel HP (what you measure on a chassis dyno) BECAUSE THEY MOVE WEIGHT/MASS FARTHER FROM THE AXIS OF ROTATION. Even if the weight is the same, it will have require more inertial force to move..that is more torque (and thus HP, because they relate directly). This will increase "driveline" losses.

In ezsvt's case, I would guess that the 5 lb weight loss would probably make things about even between 16 & 17s...I would guess no power loss. SSRs are amoung the lightest..very nice choice.

1999 Amazon Green SVT A few mods...179.2 FWHP so far
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard