Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
I just bought a JL Audio XR570-CSI component speaker system for the front doors. I was wondering where the best place to put the tweeters would be. If anyone has pics to show that would be cool too.

1998 Silver Frost CSVT #4014 Some mods My car
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
lots of people put them in the a pillar. im going to put mine about 6 inches above the speaker grille, where the door sort of curves towards the driver.

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
i put my mb tweets exactly where ETayrien is going to put them. right at that curve. i must say the sound is incredible. like said in MANY posts before, putting the tweets in the pillar will race the sound stage but screw with the imaging. keeping the tweets close to the mids will give you a stronger image but lower the sound stage a tad. to me imaging is more important to give a nice "full" sound. before you mount the tweets, test them in different locations to find out what position you like best. everyone had different preferences, find out what your's is and go for it.

Last edited by jshimer23; 03/13/03 04:26 AM.

01 Black Honda S2000 99 svt Tred/tan #2394 of 2760 on July 29, 1999 *SOLD*
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Make sure you guys post pictures when you get those installed! I would very much like to see how it would look...

98 Black CSVT Indiglo Gauges, including HVAC, KKM Intake Exhaust: Brullen loud system with 4" tips, Moddified stock Y-pipe Sound System: Alpine 9815 Deck, Alpine SPX-177A comps, 2 Lambda 12" subs.
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
I have mine a bit further away, closer to the driver's and passenger's ear....by the door release. They're loud as hell but I love the 'surround' sound and I seem to prefer it there. If I were you, I'd hook them up and place them in different location to see where you like them best, then custom fit them.
i'll post pics once I'm done with the custom trunk and I get a digital camera

Neil

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
check out my sig for pics of where I mounted my infinitys

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by JonGordo8:
check out my sig for pics of where I mounted my infinitys

I had my mb quart tweets mounted right next to my 6 1/2's in the doors and I just moved them to the same spot you have yours, and I'm much happier with the sound.

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Thanks to everyone who replied. I was thinking about mounting them in the defrost things because if I take them out it will be cheaper to replace those than the door panel.

1998 Silver Frost CSVT #4014 Some mods My car
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Use some double sided tape to position the tweeteres in a few places and have a good listen each time. Put them where it sounds best to you.

Putting tweeters away from the mid-range doesn't mean bad imaging. With a good DSP you can set the delays up accordingly. Someone on here uses Focal Utopia tweeters in the A-pillar itself right above the dash facing each other. He's won a competition of two.

Now, I put mine in the defrost vent covers for reasons a) raise the sound stage and b) cheap to replace those covers at $7ea if I ever changed my mine, or sold the car. I think the setup sounded pretty good, although the titanium dome tweeter was harsh with the windows up. The combination provided smooth response with great depth, more than any other stereo setup I have owned home or mobile. Hopefully that changes soon with my wife's truck which better drivers, just need to power them.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I was told you should get a buddy and use a few pieces of string/fish line/dental floss to aim a swivel tweeter. Start at the tweeter and run the string to the drivers ear while sitting normally in the seat. Sounds silly but I have heard it is the best way to do it. Not sure where the "best" place to mount them is, when I decide to upgrade mine I'll probably go with a pair of Infinity 5x7/6x8 (57.2cf?)with the swivel tweeters and separate crossovers in the stock location. I'll most likely disconnect the rear stock speakers and leave them there.

'01 Escape XLT V6 on S100 CDT Audio/Ascendant Audio/Rockford/JBL/Knukonceptz setup '00 SE Sport ATX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard