Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#564568 03/06/03 10:59 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I am sorry, ok, I am all for a group that helps the black ppl and all, but the NAACP chapter here in South Carolina is goine too far. Ever since we got here 2 yrs ago, they have been standing at South Carolina welcome centers telling ppl not to visit South Carolina until they remove the confederate flag from the capital building. Ok, they removed it from the front, done, but did that satisfy them?? No, they are STILL doing the same damn thing. They apparently want the flag totally removed from everywhere.
The NAACP's claim is that the flag represents slavery, lynching, and all that. Fact is, the flag only represents that to them, not to anyone else. To everyone else, it's a symbol of what was once an actual country. The SOUTH. It was the national flag for the South at the civil war times. All because the south of course was a big slave nation. I am wondering if they would have protested and flying of the northern flag if they were as big a slave nation as the south was then. They will protest at any event ranging from a damn dog show to a basketball game. Anything that will bring out-of-staters.They even protested a Bill Cosby concert not long ago. The latest news is the boycott of some basketball game here in Charleston, because it is bringing in ppl from out of state.
The damn flag is relic of the past, only to Nazi KKK skinhead groups that use it out of contex and the NAACP does it have anything to do with slavery. It's not only the flag issue that has me upset with them as well, it's the fact that they stick their noses in EVERYTHING. They were going nuts demanding control of the education boards here in Charleston not long ago. They were whining cause there were too many black soldiers sent to the front lines........ummm, hello ppl, last I heard, the military was voluntary, so if there are a lot of black ppl, THEY FRIGGIN SIGNED UP TO DO THE DAMN JOB!! THEY WEREN'T FORCED UP THERE.
I want to reiderate(sp??) that I am not prejudice, but this one group is going too far. They are attempting to make this state lose millions of dollars in tourism over a damn flag. Ok, what about the Hunley? It's a civil war submarine, I don't see them protesting it's restoration. I don't see them yelling about how many tourist might come see this relic of the civil war. They are too worried about a damn flag, and what it DOESN'T stand for. They need to get lives and deal with REAL issues, not fuss whether a certain flag is flying at a building.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
#564569 03/06/03 01:11 PM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I totally disagree with you on the flag issue. I don't think it is any different (as in not at all different, not even a little different, not even a lesser degree of the same thing) than if they were still flying the Nazi flag in Germany. However, unlike the US, in Germany you'd get arrested for doing that. Germany might have over-corrected a little in that regard but I don't think they're that far off base. NAACP have a very valid point about the confederate flag, and if you're that upset about it, the protest has obviously been effective.

-CtrAltDel

'00 SVT Contour Silver Frost/Midnight Blue #794/2150 12/8/99
#564570 03/06/03 02:27 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
I've always saw that as the NAACP showing their blatant ignorance about history. The confederate flag represents a number of things other than slavery. Hell, given Lincoln's quote that if keeping slavery as an institution would keep the US together as an entity, he would have had no qualms about it. Looks like the Stars and Stripes can now be qualified as a symbol of slavery...

Anyone that's read more than a pop-up book on the Civil War should know that state's rights was the MAIN cause behind it. The bickering back and forth between many of the Southern States and the Federal Government at that time was something that spanned DECADES before the start of the war. Slavery was a polarizing issue between a number of states and later on the the two governments, yes, but not the main one, though it's the one that gets the most press in middle and high-school texts, due to it's simplicity in representation and explaination of the events that occured around that time. As usual, there are TONS of details that get left out that otherwise would give a more complete picture of what the Civil War was REALLY about, and it didn't revolve around slavery. Period.

State's rights, southern pride, the farming/cropping lifestyle, etc., etc., taking a stand against an overbearing and encroaching Federal Government, etc., etc., the list goes on and on. If anyone thinks that simply because the Mason-Dixon Line supposedly seperated where the Confederate flag and the Stars and Stripes were flown and that those boundaries are absolutes, they are NUTS! Delaware was a STRONG proponent of the Confederacy and it's ideals. Certain states were neutral in the matter (i.e., Kentucky), though got drug into the entire mess when troops were sent into their borders. That's what pushed Kentucky to the Union side is Confederate troops invading their State, not their position on slavery...

I know what the NAACP is trying to sell to the rest of the population and I know why, as they are an institution that is clinging on to any issue they can, simply to further their survivial as a relevant and meaningful organization in a time that has mostly passed them by. They are another bureaucracy. I'm not a fan of make-believe or revisionist history because it's an insult to the well-known recorded and verified FACTS at hand. They are raping the true meaning of that symbol and unfortunately they are succeed in doing so, mostly with the ignorance of the general population in this country...

BTW, it's really hard to compare the Nazi flag with the Confederate flag, given that the genocide of segment of the population wasn't a goal of the Confederacy at any point in time. The aims and goals were totally different. Nazi Germany aimed to conquer and control everything they touched. Bigotry, hatred and elitism were truly the backbones of the Nazi movement. The Confederacy wanted to be left alone and have greater control over their own political structures, trade and commerce and laws. Slavery wasn't a viable issue and difference that polarized Noth and South until it was created into one.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
#564571 03/06/03 02:51 PM
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
The few NAACP members that I have encountered have proven to be most totaly racist people I've ever met .

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
#564572 03/06/03 04:22 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by JaTo:
BTW, it's really hard to compare the Nazi flag with the Confederate flag, given that the genocide of segment of the population wasn't a goal of the Confederacy at any point in time. The aims and goals were totally different. Nazi Germany aimed to conquer and control everything they touched. Bigotry, hatred and elitism were truly the backbones of the Nazi movement. The Confederacy wanted to be left alone and have greater control over their own political structures, trade and commerce and laws. Slavery wasn't a viable issue and difference that polarized Noth and South until it was created into one.

LOL Jato, I know, I was merely stating thought that alot of KKK and skinhead groups use the Confederate flag as their symbol. It's sad, but they do.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
#564573 03/06/03 04:35 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Think about this ... if they manage to get the flag removed, then you have lost part of your history. Enough of it gets rewritten already to be 'politically correct' and for 'political justification'.

These people are taking it all out of context and keeping an unfavourable past alive.

All country's have had some similar experiences with things like slavery and massed persecution. It seems to be that in the US the hatred is kept alive, a feeling that the people of today are owed for what happened one or two hundred years ago. All the time the common people are trying to distant themselves from their neighbors.

Take a look at certain terms for instance....African-American is the easiest to think of. The term is used to mean someone who's ancestors came from Africa. Surely though, they are now just AMERICAN !!! Look at the Irish-American's, how many of them are personally from Ireland, or even their parents ??

Why does there have to be division ??

What happened to the UNITY of the UNITED States ???

Let American's be called American's, unless they have dual-citizenship.

Just me 2cents worth.

"War is Peace" "Ignorance is Strength" "Freedom is Slavery"
#564574 03/06/03 04:37 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I hear ya...i was forced out of a sweet admin job at a local co.in the suburbs of chicago...1 day rev jackson showed up with his posse..needless 2 say after 5 years of working for the co.i was pushed out because of the actions of mr jackson and his push coalition along with the naacp,there actions were way off,they beleived that there was a conspiracy on hiring practices at the co.i worked at,so I ALONG WITH 5 OTHER PEOPLE GOT THE AX...

03 SONIC BLUE COBRA 99 BOLT (on life support) 99 CSVT 95 SHO MTX a couple of others!
#564575 03/06/03 04:41 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Affirmative Action is a blatantly racist policy, giving benefit to one segment of the population based solely on their race. However, according to the media and masses, racism can only travel in one direction. Racism is only perceived as wrong when it is White treatment of any other group, never asian treatment of white, or asian treatment of black, or vice versa. If the goal of the NAACP were true equality then they would fight to abolish affirmative action.

2000 CSVT #1172 of 2150 Toreador Red Birthday 1/4/2000 *Drop in K&N/FMS Wires/AutolitePP Plugs *Sylvania SilverStar/Indiglo Gauges *Pioneer Premier P730/Sound by Audiobahn *White HVAC Panel/Elky Mesh Mod/35% tint
#564576 03/06/03 08:27 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
it's a freedom of speech issue. if you're allowed to BURN the American flag, you should be allowed to fly any other type of flag you want.

we had this argument in High School. And it turned ot that the school outlawed the Confederate Flag AND any abolishionist symbols as well (like Spike Lee's "40A" hats and shirts). try THAT in the real world!

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
#564577 03/07/03 07:01 AM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
it is a total double standard. there's no way your going to get away with wearing a "its a white thing, you wouldn't understand" shirt. WET channel will never exist (though the argument will be that every channel besides BET is WET. its the principle behind it. all the double standards get me upset...i dont care what u are. should we hire a black, whitle, male, female, muslim. hire whoever the hell does the job the best. period. and pay them accordingly. wanna go to college. either u have the grades or not. i dont have the grades or money for princeton. but i'm doing my thing. i'm a realist.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard