Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
I
ok, here is the deal. i have no idea what the hell this is and ive never heard of it. When backing out of my garage, i got about one car lenght and then felt a jarring thud and the car jerked to a stop as if i backed into something. this instantly freaked me out. so i jumped out and instantly ran around the back of the car and there is nothing there. . .absolutely nothing. i was quite perplexed and just assumed it was like a stray dog or something running by. so i go back and back the car up again. BAM!! same friggen thing. except this time, i was looking and there was NOTHING THERE. after this, i tried again, but once i got the car rolling, put it in neutral and rolled out of the driveway. this worked fine. after that i was just curious, so i tried backing up like normal again. it worked fine this time...third times the charm right.

ok so what the hell was that? im guessing something in the tranny, but i cant even begin to guess where or what. fyi, the clutch wasnt even close to all the way out when it happened. so its not like something there i dont think.

thanks for any help, if you have ever heard of this happening or have any guess as to what may have caused it, please share here.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I think I would look at your engine/transmission mounts first.

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Damn dude... I don't know. That's just wierd. It almost sounds like something was binding up, but then again you said that you were able to back up later on and it was fine... maybe some ice buildup or something like that? I don't know... Maybe you killed Casper!

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
That happens in my wife's Olds Intrigue. When backing out, I gently have my foot on the brake and all of a sudden, the brake "boost" up, and the car comes to an abrupt stop. The first time that happened, I thought I hit a cat or dog....

98 GL sport (V6 MTX) The Durable Duratec? - (DMD, Metal impeller WaterPump, Synth & Stinky in the tranny)
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
When I mentioned in the Brakes forum that I sometimes get a spongy brake pedal, one of the suggestions was that I need to put the car in reverse and back up a ways and see if that changes anything. Something about the rear brakes self-adjusting in reverse. I have drums in back, though, so I don't know if that's specific to rear drums or not.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by importhunter_SVT:

ok so what the hell was that? im guessing something in the tranny, but i cant even begin to guess where or what. fyi, the clutch wasnt even close to all the way out when it happened. so its not like something there i dont think.

thanks for any help, if you have ever heard of this happening or have any guess as to what may have caused it, please share here.

This may seem like a strange question, but how fast were you going in reverse?

Why?

Because at 10 mph, the ABS system does a brake test, you hear the ABS system go off and the car slows just a bit.

This may be exaggerated in reverse.

I'm not sure if this is it......but just thought I'd chime in!

2000 WS6 Convertible A4 13.11 @ 107.5 with a lid, Ram Air and LTs Gone:95 Mystique LS Young America edition V6, MTX 15.6 @ 91
I
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
I
Originally posted by hetfield:
When I mentioned in the Brakes forum that I sometimes get a spongy brake pedal, one of the suggestions was that I need to put the car in reverse and back up a ways and see if that changes anything. Something about the rear brakes self-adjusting in reverse. I have drums in back, though, so I don't know if that's specific to rear drums or not.

yeah i did a search before i posted this and i came across a thread about that. i think that only applys to drums though, not discs. im still kinda freaked out. hasnt happened sence then, so im confused. i cant wait to see the looks i get when i try to explain this to someone at the dealership.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Here's my guess. You left the e-brake on overnight, and it was pretty humid, right? Rust forms amazingly fast on the rotors, but won't form where the pads are against the rotors. A bit of a ridge built up at the edge of the pad area, and caught on the pads as you backed slowly out. Either that or you're developing a deposit of brake pad material in one spot on the rotors, that is making a small spot very grabby.

Just a WAG.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
I
CEG'er
OP Offline
CEG'er
I
ok, here is the real deal. one of my friggen mufflers had come off the mount. sometimes it wouldnt hang too bad and others it would drag on the ground. it must have gotten jammed in a crack in the drive or something. that still doesnt explain why rolling out in neutral worked. third times the charm i guess. i cant believe id didnt notice earlier. i just went out to the garage and saw it hanging there with the friggen tip on the ground. it was mangled to hell. oh well, maybe its time for a new set of tips thanks anyways.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
it applies to discs moreso than drums...were the brakes wet at all?

300 HP 1995 Contour GL...Gold Metallic paint in july 2001, i was driving my honda civic and was hit by a drunk. it totalled my honda and i sued for $250,000. i won. 50k for school, 50k for my 95GL 150k for new house.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard