Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Hi all. I've now been in North Dakota for a grand total of 2 months and I'm freezing my @ss off!! I guess my baby is too since she won't start when it's colder than about -10 or so. I did an oil change about two months ago and put 5W30 in it hoping that would help. Then I put in a block heater hoping that would help. Well, after two days of it not starting I finally had it towed in to my local Ford dealer. They were stumped. $200 later all they could say was "We don't know why it won't start." They had it in a heated garage for over three hours and still nothing. They checked the fuel pump, alternator, battery, block heater (just for grins) and nothing. They thought perhaps it was flooded and took the plugs out, but it wasn't flooded. As soon as they put them back in it fired right up. Hmm... Well, now that I've got it back, it still pitches a fit every morning. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sorry for the novel!
Stephanie

PS
Any Minot folks on this site? I saw four SVTs in town today! One red, one silver and two black. Plus mine!!

Last edited by CLONTOUR; 03/04/03 03:28 AM.

2000 CSVT Black 'n' Tan Totally stock and finally mine... It's for sale!! Please check the classifieds!!
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Well If they took out the plugs, check the wires. You might have actually had something else wrong that wasnt related to the cold(lose wire, plug not right, etc.). Are the wires and plugs new?

'00 Focus ZTS, 5spd: BONE STOCK!!!!! Buy American or apply for Japanese welfare. www.geocities.com/fordcontour05/contour.html
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
i see i am not the only one whos car dose not like to start when its cold out. try cleaning the MAF and TB that might help alittle, whens the last time you did plugs and wires?? and how many miles are on it. you might want to get some 9mm for it wouldnt hurt it any. but then again its not my car and i can only dream of SVTs oh well i like my GL its mine and it dose the job very well 70thou+ in 2 1/2 years. i like to drive. but those might help if not, search in troubleshooting and see if they have coverd it already. it cant be that cold up there can it........

Go Army My new home for awhile.
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
I only bought the car a few months ago, so I'm not sure how old all the wires and plugs are. It's due for another oil change and I'm planning to have the 30k mile service checks done, too since I'm not sure that they were ever done. It's got about 47k on it now. It won't hurt anything to have it all checked out.

Yeah, it does get that stinkin' cold up here. The high today was only about -9 or -10...the high...not including wind chill of course. It was aweful out today.

2000 CSVT Black 'n' Tan Totally stock and finally mine... It's for sale!! Please check the classifieds!!
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
yep it reminds me of home Park Rapids MN if you know where that is i will be impressed. But i would recomend if you do the plugs and wires order them and do the starnderd up grade i think that there is a group buy for the wires. check with Buckshoot for ideas and details for cleaning the MAF and TB he is in Iowa but he has done the 3.0 swap and is more knoweldeable with the SVT then I. he help. He helped me out alot with some other miner stuff. also check your fuel filter. thats should be easy to change on that it took me 5 min to do mine. just rember to reset your computer after your done. Hope this helps

Go Army My new home for awhile.
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
That sucks. My TDI wouldn't start one -8F morning due to a bad battery. Despite the reputation of diesel cold starts, with my new 700 CCA battery, I have no trouble starting my car even on the coldest mornings.

Link Copied to Clipboard