Next Thread
Print Thread
#553661 02/22/03 05:17 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Ok Ive been through two alternators in the past 5 years with my contour. I have a alpine 1507 and alpine 407 probably around 1500 watts. Ok what is the best way to keep the alt. from frying. I have two 1.0 farad caps that will help but I have been given the suggestion to put another battery in the trunk and run both batteries off the one alt. Wouldnt this be more or just as harming to do this your charging both batteries with one alt. any help would be appreciated.

1995 Suburban two tone black and silver paint full black and white leopard interior 20" spoke wheels bagged fbss runnin nitrogen 2 kicker comp vr 12 1996 Contour Vtech ATX 1998.5 Silver Frost SEVT RIP(5-18-03)
#553662 02/23/03 10:48 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Well just get a high output alt , Im trying to find one now for my car .but no luck yet GRR

#553663 02/23/03 11:28 PM
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
i don't understand why your having problems?

I had 2 memphis 1000-d's hooked up in my SVT. 1100 RMS each. With a alumapro 5 farad and i never went smoked anything. Bring it to a alternator place and ask them how much to build it better. Up here i use to bring mine for my S-10 to Napa and they would ship it out and it would come back better than ever. Just a suggestion

#553664 03/01/03 06:06 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
THANKS GUYS

I ALREADY HAVE A HIGH OUTPUT ALTENATOR AND ALL MY AUDIO WAS INSTALLED BY PROS BUT I DO ROCK MY SH!T HARD IF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT ANYWAY I AM GOING TO RUN O GUAGE WIRE A SECOND BATTERY & 2 1 FARAD CAPS AND THE (CENSORED) ALTENATOR BETTER NOT FRY AGAIN

1995 Suburban two tone black and silver paint full black and white leopard interior 20" spoke wheels bagged fbss runnin nitrogen 2 kicker comp vr 12 1996 Contour Vtech ATX 1998.5 Silver Frost SEVT RIP(5-18-03)
#553665 03/04/03 03:54 AM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
ehhhh you must be doing something wrong.

#553666 03/04/03 04:10 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
For sure got something wrong man ,

#553667 03/05/03 02:37 AM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I have 2 batteries in my Contour, and the one in the trunk definitely helps, BUT it will only give more reserve until your batteries eventually get low and alternator must provide. You say that your alternator is 'high output'. But to me, that says nothing. How much higher output is it? 10 amps above stock, 20 amps, 30, 40, 50? Do you even know what a stock one runs at? I've known on all my old cars, but I don't even know what the stock Contour's alternator is rated at, because this system I got now is the most suttle I've ever had (I'm 30 now, and sound volume is not as important as when I was younger). But it's all just about laws of physics dude. You need to calculate the amperage draw of your amps at full volume (highest you normal would listen to it at) first. You can check amperage by using inductive amp draw probe (many shops have these), and if you are drawing say, 40 more amps than stock, then you should upgrade your alternator to have 40 amps more rated output than a stock one would push. And this is expensive. You could spend $500 on a stinkin alternator for cryin out loud! But on an old Mustang I used to have that had 4 amps in it, instead of buying one of those high dollar Phoenix Gold alternators, I instead just bought a STOCK alternator for a Lincoln Continental with every option (more amps), and I had to weld up and fabricate my own new brackets so it would fit my car (because it was physically bigger and didn't fit old brackets), but after that I had all the power that I needed. But really, this is the CORRECT way to fix your problem.

Other simple things you can try to preserve your factory alternator's lives may include:

1. When you have stereo cranked, turn down heater fan to low, turn windshield wiper off or to lowest needed setting, and in general, just try to turn anything off that you don't REALLY NEED, like foglights, etc.

2. When pulling up to stoplights, or just sitting there idling engine, then REMEMBER that alternator output is cut in HALF of it's rated output at idle, so at idle: turn you heater fan lower, don't use your power windows and other accessories too much, and turn your stereo down just a tad, so it's not maxing out the current draw at idle. This will help your batteries to not discharge as much, meaning that alternator wont have to work double and get so hot once you pick up the RPMs again.

I practice these techniques with my stock alternator (my stereo system is JUST barely pushing the borderline of needing a higher current alternator), but I have no, and have never had any problems with mine. I'm still running the original alternator after 110,000 mi.

'95 CONTOUR SE -Enkei 16s -SVT wannabe -Dual escapes w/ 2 1/2" stainless tips -True LED taillight conversion -Audi Xenon Projector Retrofit -Mp3 deck, dual 10s

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard