Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I figure a battery relo would be step one. After that, I'm not sure what can be relo'd.

Has anyone looked at this idea ??

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Not much you can do seeing as the weight of the engine, trans and front subframe is so huge.

Battery relocation is definitely a step in the right direction though.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
figure out a way to drive the car from the trunk....

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
contract shaq to drive it....

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
No flames intended, why would you want to redistribute weight when a front wheel drive vehicle relies heavily on a front weight bias for traction?

An experiment you can try for yourself is check seat-of-the-pants traction differences on a slemi-slick surface between driver-only & driver-w/-full-passenger-load. I've noticed that a rearward weight bias seems to lessen traction availability (I realize that more total weight can also be a factor). Just curious.......

Is the smoke alarm in your house also known as the dinner bell? '99 Zetec VCT Daily Driver Mild Air Filter Mod
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Stazi the Aussie:
Not much you can do seeing as the weight of the engine, trans and front subframe is so huge.

Exactly.

Weight bias is around 63% in the front IIRC. (don't have exact number handy)

Even with a bunch of weight removal getting it below 60/40 would be very hard.

Stock precats for headers
Stock Y-pipe for aftermarket catless or duals
Battery removal, tray, brackets.
Remove stock airbox and brackets for open air filter.
Remove some heatshields.
Lighter wheels
Lighter brake calipers
Lighter hood.
Empty the washer reservoir (hey it's 7-10lbs of liquid - you said everything)
There are several misc parts that can be removed or mounts consolidated.

That would definitely be well over 100lbs (maybe even 200lbs) just off the front.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by ABNeg:
No flames intended, why would you want to redistribute weight when a front wheel drive vehicle relies heavily on a front weight bias for traction?

An experiment you can try for yourself is check seat-of-the-pants traction differences on a slemi-slick surface between driver-only & driver-w/-full-passenger-load. I've noticed that a rearward weight bias seems to lessen traction availability (I realize that more total weight can also be a factor). Just curious.......

No offence taken ABNeg.

I've noticed on some long sweeping offramps that unless I set the car up to "power" around the bend (basically slower in, faster out), the car plows forward a lot which is a little disconcerting ....

That got me to thinking about re-distributing some of the weight to the back. Your point about traction is valid.

This might be a dumb idea of mine and I'm sure you folks will tell me if it is.

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I agree with Marko. This might be an interesting project. Yes a more even weight distribution may lower traction during takeoff, but it would mean a more balanced handling car. A balanced car can have more predictable handling habits. Better handling can greatly offset any wheel spin do to less traction... just my 2c worth.
If you do make some gains let us know how it turns out.

Mystang

Mazda6 3.0 5spd sports package Traded in...96 Contour SE V6 5sp ICW Racing 606H 17 inch wheels BAT suspension 63,000 plus; more problems
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by ElKy:
figure out a way to drive the car from the trunk....

Why am I reminded of the moive, Police academy?

98 GL sport (V6 MTX) The Durable Duratec? - (DMD, Metal impeller WaterPump, Synth & Stinky in the tranny)
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Drain the oil out, that should save about 6lbs.

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard