Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
racefan Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well that does it. I just replaced my water pump this weekend. The cone inside of the pump had come loose so I thought for sure that is where my sound was coming from. But guess what.....no it wasn't!!!! I am so close to just giving up. I would like to know how loose the water pump idler pulley is supposed to be. This thing is pretty loose and I was wondering if this would cause the belt to squeal at certain RPM ranges. Any thoughts I could use any help I can get now.
Thank-you.

S
S
look on the bright side for the time being, you may have saved yourself a motor by catching that loose cone in the water pump. once they come loose doomesday is on its way.

i assume you purchased a new water pump from ford? the whole assembly with the rear pump housing and a new plate pressed in place? other than that i can't really think of what else would cause the noise you described before.

the tensioner pulley shouldn't be real loose. just tight enough to keep a good amount of tension on the belt. if the squeaking that you hear is coming from that area, take a bar of soap, and VERY CAREFULLY hit the side/corner of the belt with it while the engine is running. believe it or not that worked for me in the past. i had a nice squeal coming off the belt on my cougar and it did the trick. its worth a shot anyway. just be careful doing it.

i remember you said you had your serpentine belt replaced. well what side is this noise coming from?? the front of the motor or the back of the motor? try the soap on the serpentine belt if its coming from there. you need to narrow down which side of the motor it's coming from though. it could also be the idler pulley (or any of the accessory pulleys) for that matter on the serpentine belt. the idler pulley is a known culprit, as is the alternator pulley, from what i've seen/heard.

-Dan
1998.5 SVT "Black and Blue" #5292
See here for MOD list.
"Washing your car to make it rain does not work."
L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by racefan:
Well that does it. I just replaced my water pump this weekend. The cone inside of the pump had come loose so I thought for sure that is where my sound was coming from. But guess what.....no it wasn't!!!! I am so close to just giving up. I would like to know how loose the water pump idler pulley is supposed to be. This thing is pretty loose and I was wondering if this would cause the belt to squeal at certain RPM ranges. Any thoughts I could use any help I can get now.
Thank-you.

If the squeal sounds like a cricket chirp, it might be the idler and/or belt. Ford replaced mine to fix a problem similar to the one you're describing.

-Louis
1998 Black E0 #3826, lightly modded
R
racefan Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well any one. Does anyone have a clue what causes this wierd squealing sound in the SVT tours. I have tried to figure this one out and I have given up all hope. I am really not sure what the problem could be so i was wondering this. Has any one fixed any sound from the engine area. This way I can try and narrow it down. I can't tell where the sound is coming from but it is definetly on the engine somewhere. Or maybe it isn't. Because sometimes it won't make the sound and then you will drive for a bit and then it is back again. This sound does happen at idle so it isn't in the drive system. It sounds so similar to a belt squeal but I have soaped the hell out of the belts and still nothing. So anyways if everyone can list what they have done to repair engine squeels. I can try and narrow this down. Thanks.

S
S
what about the idler pulley on the accessory side? did you check that?? as i said, that's a popular fix on these cars. actualy, as we speak, mine is going bad too. i got a nice squeak out of it. seems like it depends on temperature a bit as to how much it squeaks.

-Dan
1998.5 SVT "Black and Blue" #5292
See here for MOD list.
"Washing your car to make it rain does not work."
R
racefan Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am not sure about the idler pulley on the serpentine belt. Whats a good way to tell if that is the problem. I have also heard that the alternator has been a culprit for a few people. How hard is it to remove the serpentine belt and check these pulleys? Thanks for you help.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard