Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#539898 02/05/03 08:18 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Any time acceleration is involved (which requires power), will show the benefits of the lighter flywheel; less power consumed to overcome the moment of interia of a lighter flywheel.

Although as you go up through the gears, it is less noticable...

So as you punch it on the dyno it should show up as an increase, but the increase would be different if you compared a 3rd gear pull to a 4th gear pull.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
#539899 02/05/03 10:30 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by Dustyn:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
The only time a lighter flywheel will show a disadvantage versus a heavier unit is starting the car from a dead stop.

All other times it will be superior performance wise.

Demon not to ba a naysayer but mustang and fast fords did a test and they showed the oppisite. Power increase 1,2,3 and then leveling our on top. I know you don't like the stangs but check out the mag its very interesting.

I've read the article.

You seem to forget that dyno testing is done AFTER the wheels are already moving. (also it is not accelerating the car's weight only rolling the drum)

Read my post again & tell me how what I said could be construed as wrong???

A lighter flywheel has less mass (stored inertia) to get a car moving from a stop. This is simple physics. Once the car is sufficiently moving this drawback of a lighter flywheel is gone.

Dyno testing normally starts around 2500rpm. The wheels are definitely sufficiently moving by then.

Good enough for me!

98CSVT specII yada yada yada 95 Mustang GT M&M road&track box HP stage one 60-mm
#539900 02/07/03 03:12 AM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Actually, a lighter flywheel will make it easier to accelerate. This is the same concept as lightweight wheels. The reduction of rotating mass causes a lower rotational moment of inertia. Essentially it requires less force to accelerate something that weighs less.

The disadvantage of a lightweight clutch or wheel for that matter is that it is also that it is easier to accelerate.

The same property that makes it easier to accelerate to a higher speed makes it harder to remain at the same high speed. The flywheel has less momentum and since the engine and tires and whatnot are still producing the same amount of friction, the flywheel cannot use its rotating mass to keep the engine turning as easily.

The disadvantage of having a lightweight flywheel can most easily be seen when you are cruising along and come to a hill. With a very heavy flywheel, the rotational momentum helps keep the engine rotating at a constant speed (it wants to remain at a constant velocity), whereas with a light flywheel, the added force opposing foreward travel can slow the car down easier because there is not as much rotational momentum keeping the engine turning.

So yeah, that's that. This is all basic physics guys, don't let it fool you.

don't drink and drive.
#539901 02/07/03 04:50 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
So you are saying that a lighter flywheel will get a car rolling from a dead stop faster.
You really can't believe that right???

A ligher flywheel has less stored inertia to start the transmission/wheels moving. This is that simple physics you mentioned!

It's also one of the reasons drag racers often use a heavier flywheel.

BTW - how would lighter wheels transfer less energy from the engine to the transmission? (I definitely see what mean, but it's not really the same comparison as you make it)

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#539902 02/07/03 01:21 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Greg,
There is no way on earth that a track racer would INCREASE the mass of the flyweel. The increase in mass directly relates to an increase in the moment of inertia and "simple physics" tells you that more enrgy is required to accelerate something with a higher moment of inertia.
E=(mv^2)/2 + (Iw^2)/2

Where:
E Energy
m mass of the body
v straight line velocity
I inertia
w angular velocity

So you can see that the ergergy required to accelerate an object is directly proportional to the moment of inertia. So something with a smaller mass and moment of inertia require less energy to accelerate it. hence why drag racers strip down the weight of there cars and reduce the mass of all rotating parts e.g. wheels, valavetrain, flywheel etc.

You can't argue with it....

And on a side note semi trucks have HUGE flywheels to help them maintain velocity while cruising and to help them take off from a dead stop because there mass is so huge that a light fllywheel would make it extremely hard for them to maintain the engine revs and keep their engines in the "power band". But the drawback is that is take a long time to rev up the engine in the first placer as it has to overcome the mass of the flywheel.

It may be okay to use a heavy flywheel for drag racing, but that is ONLY if you can launch by revving and holding the engine to a fixed rpm (usually with the use of a stutterbox) and then just feathering out the clutch. This is not nice for the clutch, and who has a stutterbox on a Contour?

Afterall, you are one of the biggest proponents on this board when it comes to arguing that the Conbtour is not a drag car, but a master of the twistied and the auto-x track.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
#539903 02/07/03 05:07 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
So Demon, are you saying that thousands upon thousands of track racers use lightened flywheels for no reason NOT! They use it for one reason only, acceleration from a dead stop! better times! Are you about to tell me they spend all that time to add a lightened flywheel to go slower

hmmmm

#539904 02/07/03 08:49 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
When you say track are you talking autocross or drag racing???

I specifically stated drag racing.

Of course any autocross/road racer would use a lighter flywheel.

Also none of you have told me EXACTLY WHY you think what I stated is incorrect.

Heavier weight = more stored inertia (kinetic energy) = easier/faster acceleration from a DEAD stop. This is the ONLY point I state a heavier flywheel has an advantage (I seem to remember stating that at least 3 or 4 times now)

Stazi - In your last post you even agree with me;
"It may be okay to use a heavy flywheel for drag racing, but that is ONLY if you can launch by revving and holding the engine to a fixed rpm (usually with the use of a stutterbox) and then just feathering out the clutch. This is not nice for the clutch, and who has a stutterbox on a Contour?"

If you agree WTF is all this argueing about???

I don't ever recall saying a heavier flywheel was always better then a lighter one. I don't ever recall not endorsing or wanting a lighter flywheel.
I gave an accurate comparison of a lighter vs a heavier flywheel and people just see the "ONLY" time I said a heavier flywheel was better and some how correlate that to me stating heavier is ALWAYS better...

Sheesh people. READ all the posts in the thread before you jump off all half cocked...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#539905 02/08/03 05:57 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
drag racing

#539906 02/08/03 10:48 PM
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
I still don't see how a heavier flywheel can improve dead-stop acceleration. Yes a lighter flywheel's lower rotational mass makes clutch engagement trickier from a stop, but the power to get you off the line isn't coming from "stored energy" in the flywheel, it's coming from the engine that the flywheel is connected to.

2000 Cougar V6 With a couple changes... 8)
#539907 02/09/03 08:24 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by rollingstash:
The disadvantage of having a lightweight flywheel can most easily be seen when you are cruising along and come to a hill. With a very heavy flywheel, the rotational momentum helps keep the engine rotating at a constant speed (it wants to remain at a constant velocity), whereas with a light flywheel, the added force opposing foreward travel can slow the car down easier because there is not as much rotational momentum keeping the engine turning.

So yeah, that's that. This is all basic physics guys, don't let it fool you.

rollingstash,

I don't think this is quite true. You are forgetting about the engine's Torque.
Torque is the engine's resistance to opposing inertia.
Torque is what launches your vehicle, and what keeps your vehicle cruising.
With a lighter flywheel, your Torque specs should INCREASE because there is less
opposing inertia (mass) than in a lighter flywheel.

A heavier flywheel will only do a few things...

Slow down engine acceleration,
Smooth engine idle characteristics,
Improve engine braking, &
Improve shifting characteristics by maintaining flywheel momentum.

A heavy flywheel tends to remain in motion with LESS power than a lighter flywheel.
This is, of course, not considering forces other than momentum.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard