Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Aussie sold me a PCV Oil seperator and I installed it about 3 months ago. It collects the junk that the PCV valve wants to put back into the engine. Well after 5,000 miles, I decided to drain it. 1/2 to 1 cup of oily looking residue drained out. I can see how if this gets into the intake manifold and sits on top of the secondaries, that it could harden.

I do want to make a slight disclaimer. I didn't intend to drain it yet, but I got a Check engine light. The PCV collector might have been full. But the OBDII reader told me P1518, which is that IMRC. Yes, it is bad again. But it should not have increased the amout of oil blowby very much, since I can tell when the secondaries open, and I drained it right away, when I noticed.

Too all that have the PCV Oil seperator, drain it with your oil changes. Also, how much do you think is caked on the sides? If a cup up oil came out?

BTW, PCV Oil seperator higly recommended.

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Anyone have the instructions for making one of these? I searched for PCV, but didn't come up with much. It would be great if someone could write up a How-To on this.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Qbert:
Anyone have the instructions for making one of these? I searched for PCV, but didn't come up with much. It would be great if someone could write up a How-To on this.

HERE You must have missed the archives...

Same thing made with brass fittings

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Hey, thanks...this should really be added to the How-To.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
I would be curious as to what kind of oil you run?

H
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Amsoil 0W-30 Series 2000, $8/qt.

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
U
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
U
where is the PCV valve on the 99 2.0 Zetec?

99 ATX Contour 130k w/ a 21k tranny freshly installed Secret Project in the works
Originally posted by unknown:
Never argue with an idiot, ppl may not be able to tell the difference between you.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
is this product available for the zetec, the redheaded step child...

96 gl sport, atx, rip at 95k FDNY 343 remember 9/11
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by ddmd3216:
is this product available for the zetec, the redheaded step child...

It looks to be a home made setup my friend.

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I had one in my TDI but I had to remove it after it completely froze up. It was made by a company called AGS. There's a lot of water vapor in the crankcase vapors in a diesel along with oil. The oil fouls up the intercooler, bonds with the EGR gasses to form gunk. But since a diesels crankcase is always under pressure, any blockage of the crankcase vent will cause oil to be forced past the rings into the combustion chamber, which happened to me and then if left plugged long enough, could blow the seals. A TDI's crankcase vent is one way, exit. There's no entry at the air filter for intake air and exit at the manifold like a gassers PCV system. The crankcase is pressurized by blow by gasses that escape past the piston rings due to the high combustion.

I'm getting my EGR recalibrated to where it'll very seldom engage, therefor no soot problems. Means a little more NOX, but since there's not a smog problem here, it's not a big deal.

I'd still like to install another filter (maybe a homemade one) and if I use 3/4" fittings like the CCV hoses in the TDI, rather than the 1/2" fittings, like the ones in the filter I had. Reducing the size helped contribute to the blockage.

Since my oil changes were at 10,000 miles, I drained my filter at 5k miles.

Last edited by PackRat; 01/29/03 01:45 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard