Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Alright this is what has happened so far.
Car Started missing this morning when my girlfried was driving to town. Tach Jumps up and down and the car trys to stall when stopped in any gear. Its a 98 contour zetec ATX. Managed to limp the car to Autozone to have the codes checked and they told me that the Camshaft Position Sensor was bad. I replaced it and nothing changed. I checked all the wiring harnesses, vaccum lines, plug wires, etc... I searched all the forums, read the TSB about the sensor and still haven't been able to figure anything out. As the day went on the problem kept getting worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on having the codes pulled again tommorow.

Thanks,
Mike

98 ford contour CAI Strait pipe from cat back lots of neon future plans include Turbo and NOS and a body kit
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
If the camshaft position sensor did not fix it, you will have to check the static timing.

The timing belt may have skipped, or if it has VCT it is not working correctly. The VCT can hang from dirty oil or just be damaged. If the VCT solenoid has a problem it usually generates it's own codes.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Its not VCT and I can't see a way that it could skip timing with as tight as the belt is. It doesn't look like the belt is worn to bad, and it isn't missing any of the teeth. any advice that hopefully won't cost a lot of money since I have very little

One more thing, I live in Erie PA right next to lake erie and the average temp for at least a week have been in the teens. Today the high was about 12F and the low tonight is supposed to be -7. I have to get my car fixed, gotta have a way to get to work.

Thanks
Mike

98 ford contour CAI Strait pipe from cat back lots of neon future plans include Turbo and NOS and a body kit
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
  Go back to AutoZone, and have them pull the codes.  Don't have the minimum-wage cash-register-jockey try to tell you what they mean; just get the actual codes, and post them here.  Each code will consist of the letter ??P? followed by a four-digit number.

Hyster E60XM-33 1996 Mercury Mystique GS, Zetec, ATX To email me, remove the string HatesSpam from this address:BobHatesSpam@Blaylock.to
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Yes, do get the codes.

If the cam position sensor code (P0340) is still there, static timing or the sensors ability to read the timing is the problem. This can be the belt, loose sprocket, VCT.
As far as I know, VCT was installed on 1998 2.0L I4 engines. There is a TSB for it, and it is becoming an increasingly common problem.

Missing is normally caused by a spark problem.

Too high/too low wandering idle is usually a vacuum leak.

Very bad running up to at least 3000 rpm and maybe beyond, shakey feel, loss of power, and sometimes periodic sucking and or muffled popping sounds, usually mean a timing problem.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Well the codes are as follows

300 = Random Missfire
340 = Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Fault
1383 = Cam Timing advance is excessive

Now that I know what the codes mean all I have to do is get a new belt. Went out this morning to find the car wouldn't start. Looked under the hood to find that the belt is missing at least 1/4 of its teeth. Thanks to all for there sugestions.

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
your timing belt went...

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by crshnrun:
.... Looked under the hood to find that the belt is missing at least 1/4 of its teeth. ..

The only belt you normally see underhood is the accessory/serpentine belt which has longitudinal grooves. Timing belt, which is cogged, only visible when cover removed.
For the benefit of casual readers please confirm it's the latter you're seeing as faulty, thanks.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by horseydung:
Originally posted by crshnrun:
.... Looked under the hood to find that the belt is missing at least 1/4 of its teeth. ..

The only belt you normally see underhood is the accessory/serpentine belt which has longitudinal grooves. Timing belt, which is cogged, only visible when cover removed.
For the benefit of casual readers please confirm it's the latter you're seeing as faulty, thanks.

Follow this link for posting on how to check the timing belt.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=11650&Main=9539#Post11650

Hyster E60XM-33 1996 Mercury Mystique GS, Zetec, ATX To email me, remove the string HatesSpam from this address:BobHatesSpam@Blaylock.to
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Thanks for all of your help guys. One detail that I forgot to include is that I have removed the timing belt cover. I replaced the timing belt and the Camshaft position sensor. Problem solved, and the car runs great. Next problem that came up tranny. Thanks again guys.

Mike

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard