Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
racefan Offline OP
OP Offline
R
What are the premature water pump failure signs? I have this bloody squeaky sound at about 2 to 2.5 k and I can't figure it out. i just read over about the water pump failures and i can't figure out what the problem is. Could this sound be coming from the water pump. What have you people been experiencing just prior to failure.

D
D
Yeah, I get that high pitched ringing around that range also. I do not believe it's the WP. Actually, according to everyone who's pump failed, there is NO NOTICE whatsoever! Anyway, back to the squeal. The best answer I got for the same question was that's it probablt the alternator. It is an answer that I can buy. And I have not had any problems. shocked (Knocking on wood right now.)

Hope this helps.

2000 SVT
Black & Blue
#205 of 2150
Kenwood Head Unit

2001 SR5 4 Runner 4x4
R
racefan Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Danny;
You have the same problem as me. I thought I was the only one that had this problem. This is a really wierd sound. I can't figure out where it comes from and no I don't think that it is the alternator either. It gets louder when I look underneath of the car. Let me know what you have found so far. maybe we can actually find a solution for this annoying menace.

S
S
I had a few temp spikes before mine went out. The temp would go right thru the roof and after some rest would work right. I do not know why it was doing that but my WP died shortly after and after it was replaced it has not done that since. WP is to easy to change out and I am still kicking myself for not channging before it went out.

Scott
96 SE, MTX, BAT 22mm rear anti-sway bar, BAT springs and Spax struts
96 Caprice, 9C1
Rayon is made of wood!!!
G
G
mine spiked a couple times once all the way over past the 'L'....i was picking up my girlfriend from work and it was the middle of summer (usually 95+ everyday) i checked and the res. was empty...took a few mins to get the lid off then refilled and went home adding more water after i got out....

mostly though i just had leaks...but after the weather cooled the leaking stopped and i haven't had to add any coolant in a least a couple months or more

95 contour se...dark blue...monsterflow air filter...remanuf atx...wiring harness recall or bust!!!96k miles...motorcraft awsf32pp plugs & red ford racing 9mm wires...kvr black plated cross-drilled rotors & carbon fiber pads...currently undergoing renovation...excuse our dust!!!
are my dodgers for real????
L
L
mine exhibited no symptoms, other than mileage. about two years ago, I had an intermittent squeaking problem at 2.5k and 4k RPMs. I thought it was the belt tensioner, but turns out the water pump belt was at fault (under warranty)

-Louis
1998 Black E0 #3826, lightly modded
S
S
My water pump went out at 38k miles....most go out around 50k.....so.....I recommend changin it BEFORE 50k. A buddy from austin had his go out when I was down there. There were about 4 of us drivin around on a mountain sorta thing...lol Texas doesn't have mountains...lol.....and his quit on him....in a BAD spot. Changin the water pump out is farely simple....Chris Hightower has some pics of mine when we changed it out. Replace the thermostat too....might as well while you've got it apart. FYI

'98 Silver Frost SVT FOR SALE
muffler/resonatorless
AOL IM- SVTcop
Yahoo- countryboy_tx
ICQ-8981296 / 111560813
JOIN THE N.TEXAS Ford Perf Club. WWW.SVTTEXAS.COM
R
racefan Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Are these water pump failures isolated to 98 and prior contours. I have not heard of any so far on a 1998.5 SVT. Are there any out there?

B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by racefan:
Are these water pump failures isolated to 98 and prior contours. I have not heard of any so far on a 1998.5 SVT. Are there any out there?

Mine 98.5 pump "failed" when I opened it up on the weekend. The housing cone was loose and wearing away at the white impeller. I had heard noise from that area. Thisnoise was likely the cone bouncing off the impeller. I'm betting that there are warning signs for 98.5 and newer - the noise from the pump. Apparently these white impellers aren't as prone to cracking. They seem to just wear away to nothing.

Keep an ear open!

Black E1
T
T
There is no warning. It will suddenly not work!

As for the squealing, I'd say slipping belt or maybe a vacuum leak?

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard