Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Definately the alternator. I have replaced the alternator 3 times. Long story. Lucky for me Buckshot sold me one for $90.

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
My battery light flickers at idle they are replacing the idler pulley tomorrow to see if that fixes it the belt was loose when I pushed on it I could push it down probably an inch or so.

1995 Suburban two tone black and silver paint full black and white leopard interior 20" spoke wheels bagged fbss runnin nitrogen 2 kicker comp vr 12 1996 Contour Vtech ATX 1998.5 Silver Frost SEVT RIP(5-18-03)
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
weird guys!!!! My first response would have been, yes replace the mega-fuse! BUT it is also conceivable that you have a bad cell in your battery or a short. The other things to do is to check all the wires coming from the alternator to see if they are loose or are cracked.

You have a system, my recommendation for you is to take the fuses out of the system first so that your amp is out. Then try it and see if the amp is pulling gobs of current. Also, check your terminals on the battery itself. Remove corrosion and see what that does. Going back to the alternator and the terminals, make absolutely sure they are tight and all the snaps are engaged FULLY.

Keep fighting, you will get this fixed soon! Be sure to post what failed so the rest of us can have that info!!!!

Thanks

L8R
Rich

'04 Ecotec Cavi 140hp/150tq Fabbed intake. Header Coming, DRL's disabled, X-Drilled/slotted rotors coming....Man you really are fast. You were hauling a$$ when I passed you RB&LB causing problems in Huntsville
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
My first response is to replace the alternator. It sounds like the brushes in the regulator are bouncing
at high engine rpm... it could be weak brush springs or a rough slip ring surface.

In response to the statement that a company checks their alternators to 7000 rpm.... If you do a little
bit of math... the Contour FEAD runs about a 2.7 to 1 pulley ratio to the alternator... 7000 alternator rpm equate to about
2600 engine rpm.

Just my 2 cents worth...

99 SE Sport..ATX SVT exhaust SVT zip tube and air cleaner assembly Tinted windows 17 Cougar Zn Wheels
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Besides checking the battery, the alternator, and the mega fuse, I also cleaned and removed all the corrosion from all of them and replaced my belt...I'm out of ideas but I dropped my car off at an alternator and starter shop today so they are going to do a diagnostic and tell me tomorrow if they can figure it out...

98 T-red Contour LX Zetec (100k miles) 98 T-red CSVT (40k miles) 18" Enkei Rs5's Pioneer Premier 740 12" Rockford HE powered by 420 watt amp C27 Front Fascia
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by tucker:
It sounds like the brushes in the regulator are bouncing
at high engine rpm... it could be weak brush springs or a rough slip ring surface.

Or a loose connection to one or more of the diodes in the rectifier.

Or an out of contour brush due to brush chattering, this casues arcing which ultimately reduces power transfer to the slip ring which causes reduced rotor field strength which casues lower induction within the stator which equates to reduced output.

A loose connection in the stator, or a wire in the stator has had its epoxy insulation chafed through by vibration and is intermittently shorting out one winding in the stator.

or even simpler, the belt is slipping over the altenator pulley.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Hey I got my car back today...They replaced the alternator and now everything is running good. My guess is that Autozone only tested it at low RPM and the problem was the higher. There must be something with our cars because when I was picking it up there were 3 tours in a row at the alternator shop...lol

98 T-red Contour LX Zetec (100k miles) 98 T-red CSVT (40k miles) 18" Enkei Rs5's Pioneer Premier 740 12" Rockford HE powered by 420 watt amp C27 Front Fascia
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Haha, how much does one cost without installation?

98 3.0 svt: Sold
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
I dunno....mine was like 150 or something w/ installation but it was a rebuilt alternator not new....My dad something like 230 for new alternators for my 98 tour w/o installation

L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
That was from autozone by the way....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard