C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
Originally posted by gdub520:
Originally posted by Obsidian:
I used triple-guard marine grease. That crap works good on anything needing lube

i think i saw that stuff being used on 'oz' during a ...nevermind

Nice!

Definately cute......you know when you are beyond hope: "Oz" being the land "Down Under", where Holdens abound!!

#519881 01/15/03 06:37 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by contour_r_us:
OK, after failing to turn up anything in searching, time to turn to the wisdom of the group......
I haven't taken the door panel off, so could someone explain to me what I must do in order to have my rear doors open with the same effort as the front doors?
I have lubed them, before now dry door check straps, and this did not improve matters.
I just purchased this '95 Contour for my wife's Xmas present and am in the process of doing the bumper to bumper thing myself.
Any wisdom shed this way greatly appreciated.
tia - Bill

OK guys (and gals), I give up on this!!! I have tried the lithium, silicone, etc and nothing is making a difference!!! "Gritty" is the best description I can come up with as to the "feel" when opening and closing the door. Seems I may have a "mechanical failure" within the door itself (check strap of course, not door ;-)).
Further wisdom prevails before door panel removal?
tia - Bill

#519882 01/15/03 10:55 AM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I presume you have lubricated upper and lower bushings of each door hinge and swung door over it's full range a half dozen or so times to work the lubricant in before reaching this point.

I frankly would suspect door hinge pins/bushings before check strap as source of problem. Easiest next step would be to disconnect check strap at door jamb and see if this removes the gritty feel when you swing door. If not, then it confirms hinges are problem. If it does, then check strap was the problem and you can proceed to remove door panel.

You used to be able to get hinge pin/bushing replacement kits for some car hinges (usually to eliminate door sag). Don't know if you can remove pins and/or get replacements for Contour or whether replacement of whole hinge the only option.

Good luck.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
#519883 01/21/03 01:41 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by horseydug:
I presume you have lubricated upper and lower bushings of each door hinge and swung door over it's full range a half dozen or so times to work the lubricant in before reaching this point.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Correct, this was the first order of biz.

I frankly would suspect door hinge pins/bushings before check strap as source of problem. Easiest next step would be to disconnect check strap at door jamb and see if this removes the gritty feel when you swing door. If not, then it confirms hinges are problem. If it does, then check strap was the problem and you can proceed to remove door panel.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Logical troubleshooting. Thanks. Prob is in the check strap. Upon removal at the jamb, as you advised, this became obvious. What is not obvious is when will I find time to remove the door panel and and investigate the check straps further.

You used to be able to get hinge pin/bushing replacement kits for some car hinges (usually to eliminate door sag). Don't know if you can remove pins and/or get replacements for Contour or whether replacement of whole hinge the only option.

Good luck.

Thanks again for the assistance!!! This is what makes CEG what it is!!!!
Bill

Last edited by horseydug; 01/21/03 11:18 AM.
#519884 01/21/03 08:43 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
lol i just went out to my car and decided just for kicks to open the rear left door to see if it still scraped...yep it does...the wd-40 apparently is starting to wear off because it is pretty much scraping as bad as before...i dont have trouble closing the doors but it does seem like the problem is door sag or maybe the hinges are just placed wrong???

i just happened across this post after coming back in...the mind power of the ceg at work

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
#519885 01/26/03 01:58 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Will keep everyone posted. This is low priority now, as ront and rear brakes are the order of the day. Replaced front rotors and pads yesterday, bleed same. On to rears, but not sure when. Yes, CEG is way better than my experiences with Opels, VW's, Taurus'; Neon group is good, but CEG is excellent. What an Archive!!!
Bill

#519886 01/27/03 03:03 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I had the same problem with both of rear doors, tried everything to lube the straps only to find nothing really works. I actually took the strap and the bracket assembly off of the door last fall and found there was no cure to the problem but replacing them. I put it back and learned to live with that grinding noise and cheapy feel.

the strap runs through a bracket mounted in the door, and the bracket has a pair of spring loaded rollers in it, riding on the top and bottom surfaces of the strap. springs push the roller against the strap so they can "catch" or check the groove at half length of the strap when door is half open.

What I found in my car was a pair of completely worn rollers that no longer roll, they scratch the strap instead and make that ugly feel.

our front doors seem to have different parts in the brackets and hold up much better.

1997 Contour Sport Duratec MTX 2000 Olds Intrigue GLS Sterling Edition
#519887 01/27/03 03:26 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I found that the rear check straps seemed to need lubing often, especially after rain. I found, as did an earlier poster, that marine grease stayed on longer. There must be a lot of water going through this area when it rains, just like the front door interior light switches. The natural result of long term lack of lubrication is worn parts. If you replace the door check straps, start off it's life with marine grease. If you have one that is not damaged yet, try the marine grease. It works for me!

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#519888 01/27/03 05:26 AM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
same thing with mine.

#519889 02/01/03 02:55 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by sylin:
I had the same problem with both of rear doors, tried everything to lube the straps only to find nothing really works. I actually took the strap and the bracket assembly off of the door last fall and found there was no cure to the problem but replacing them. I put it back and learned to live with that grinding noise and cheapy feel.

the strap runs through a bracket mounted in the door, and the bracket has a pair of spring loaded rollers in it, riding on the top and bottom surfaces of the strap. springs push the roller against the strap so they can "catch" or check the groove at half length of the strap when door is half open.

What I found in my car was a pair of completely worn rollers that no longer roll, they scratch the strap instead and make that ugly feel.

our front doors seem to have different parts in the brackets and hold up much better.

Now here is an explanation to all my questions (well, at least at this time) that I even get visuals with!!! Great job and thank you very much!!!! I am sure the rollers are "scrathing" the strap, based on the way the marine grease is dispersed after closing and opening the door.
Again, thanks!! Bill

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard