Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#517379 01/07/03 05:47 AM
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Im looking in putting a turbo on my mystique. Im looking to see how far im going to have to upgrade a transmission?
Please help!!! I need as much information i can get.
Thanks.

95 Mystique Zetec ATX engine swap with a 96 Zetec 39" ZETEC Sticker on front windshield Dual Exhaust with flowmasters CTA cold air induction ACCEL ignition coil _______________________________ _
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Noghri:
Im looking in putting a turbo on my mystique. Im looking to see how far im going to have to upgrade a transmission?
Please help!!! I need as much information i can get.
Thanks.

Slight problem with your question.

MTX-75 is the Manual TransaXle.

CD4E is the slushbox. Which you have. Input shaft is rated at 200lb/ft of torque. Torque Converter is another failure point.

I don't remember the cost off hand but you would be looking at probably ~$3k to have it upgraded at level 10 (Parts & labor)

Then add ~$4k for just the turbo kit.

~$1000-2000 for some good supporting mods.

~$2k for better rims & tires too

That's already atleast tripled the worth of your car as is.

Just letting you know what's instore for you.

BTW - How does a 4 cylinder have dual exhaust???

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
First off im having a complete engine rebuild from the block up, plus we are going to put on a t3/t4 turbo running 20-24 lb. of boost.

I know that the weak atx will never hold plus i always like driving a mtx better. we are going to put in a manual of some sort. I just have to be sure that it will hold the amount of power that this new engine will produce.

95 Mystique Zetec ATX engine swap with a 96 Zetec 39" ZETEC Sticker on front windshield Dual Exhaust with flowmasters CTA cold air induction ACCEL ignition coil _______________________________ _
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Well of course that would mean that you are going to basically drop everything up front, under the fenders, and replace with one from an MTX. That's cool if that is what you want to do.

As for what the MTX will hold, man that is a deep subject and better left to Terry Haines. Most around here though have just updated there older MTX's to the 2000 model year spec and added a Quiafe LSD. I guess that alone makes it about as bulliet proof as you can get with what you have.

If you are worried about other hard parts, like individual gears and what not, I really don't think there is an aftermarket supplier that has beefier gears. Just the differential. Which is really what you should be worried about.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Yes, definitely a question for Terry. Email him at secondline@ameritech.net

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Are you going to run pump gas with that?

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well!

A t3/t4? 20-24psi? Is that relative to atmospheric pressure or absolute?

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Ok question for everyone that says the Quaife solves all problems... How is that going to stop my syncros from going out? Ive had my transmission rebuilt once at 37k, and thats after driving it with a bad second to third gear syncro for about 10k... Then not even 10k miles later, imagine that the second to third syncro grinds again... I was wondering if someone could explain how the LSD is going to solve my problem... Thanks

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
It's not going to solve your problem. There are only two way to solve your problem depends on what's the source is.

1. Find another shop that knows how to rebuild your MTX-75.
2. Learn how to drive stick shift.

It doesn't matter how much more power your engine is going to put out, it doesn't put more stress on the synchro. It will only fail if you didn't have a proper rebuild, or you abuse the tranny, or it's just getting too old, or all of them combined.

U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Y2K,

The Quaife is not a cure all and it sure ain't snake oil. Just like the Level 10 is not a cure all for the ATX. One reason that will see so many references to the quaife here is becasue our differenicals are very weak. ATX and MTX a like. Only thing is the ATX does not have an after market differential upgrade available. So, most of your MTX owners are going to take advantage of what they have available to them. I don't think anyone has suggested the Quaife for grinding syncros.

You want to solve that one (synro's lifespan), then update them to the 2000 model spec (you apparently already have those if yours is a 2000), use the tranny cocktail and be sure to always use the friction modifier. Oh yeah, and number two of what Airknight said. LOL! just joking!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard