Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
I have now owned my second tour for almost 1 year. I had a Honda V6 between my last tour (lost my job), so I thought the change in performance was tipical of the smaller ford V6. I am convinced there is something wrong with my exhaust. When I floor the peddal all the tach goes to is 4k rpm. What is the deal? I called ford and they said my car isn't covered under the cat recall. I have had friends drive my car and they are like... gee this car has no power. Any suggestions?

95 GL v6 ATX sunroof, cc, power seats, yeah its got everything.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Sounds like a bad proof read.

98 3.0 svt: Sold
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Something is not adding up here..your name is mercurymistake, but you have a 95 (Contour) GL? Also, when you "floor it", is it in park or drive?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
From Ford:

EMISSIONS PERFORMANCE WARRANTY COVERAGE
If your vehicle is registered in a state where the state or local government has
an EPA-approved inspection and maintenance program, you may also be eligible
for Emissions Performance Warranty Coverage for 2 years or 24,000 miles
(whichever occurs first), if you meet the conditions listed below in this section.
Under the Emissions Performance Warranty for passenger cars and light duty
trucks, Ford Motor Company also provides coverage, including labor and
diagnosis, for 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for the following
emissions parts, if you meet the conditions listed below in this section.
    catalytic converter
    compuvalve
    electronic emissions control unit (PCM)
    onboard emissions diagnostic device

So, diagnosis and repair from Ford will cost you if it's over 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

If it is a cat you should have gotten a CEL. You may also have measureable exhaust backpressure.

Oh, welcome to CEG!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I seem to be having the same problem. I have a 95 GL ATX 2.0L, and it just developed this problem. I read the code, 181, Checked it out, bought the repair manual, but I am not ready to throw money at the car.

I read in the archives about cleaning the MAF, so I did that today. Seemed to help. Doing that and Resetting the computer stopped the CEL, but it is still doing the same thing, now just a little differently. Before it would sputter and jerk to accellerate, now it acts like it is towing something. It shifts gears fine, It just lost all power.

The CEL code 181 says that The Engine is runnning Lean bank 1, but the engine sounds like it is getting too much gas. It started doing a popping sound coming from the exhaust when I accellerate.

I'm thinking something with the TB, possible it's dirty or sticking (can it do that?) or maybe the cat. I want to clean everything before I start throwing money at it. $65 for a new HO2S, Luckily I only need one. But it's $15 bucks for the tool to remove it.

Any thoughts on this? I only have 49100 on the car. What could be going wrong? Nothing should fail yet. Well, except for the air conditioner not working, but I think that was explained in the FAQ.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to retire the tour, But if it cost too much, it's not worth it. I'll just have to get a honda like everyone else (EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW).

-Rob

White 95 GL ATX 56K Miles on it. Optilux By Hella Fog lights (The Angel Eyes) Driven hard, Just like I like it!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Popping from the exhaust may be a timing problem. If power is suffering you may want to ensure that the timing belt has not jumped.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
OOh thats something I never thought Of. I think I need a new timing belt anyhow. Someone mentioned in the forums that the clicking sound of the belt hitting its casing means the belt should be changed.

Would a timing problem cause the loss in power, and what about the lean reading of cel 181?

-Rob

White 95 GL ATX 56K Miles on it. Optilux By Hella Fog lights (The Angel Eyes) Driven hard, Just like I like it!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Robert S:
Would a timing problem cause the loss in power, and what about the lean reading of cel 181?

Power loss : definately

Lean (181) : Not sure, but if cam timing is early, vacuum will be down and ignition early so it's possible.

Lean O2 sensor problems are common. That could also be a bad sensor, damaged wiring to the sensor, dirty MAF, vacuum leak...

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
What exactly should the MAF wires look like. I cant seem to post a pic so let me try and illustrate.

----::::::::-----

My Wires look something like that.

------------------

Shoud they look like that (Flat)?

Is the thicker part in the center normal, or is it crud that is built up?

-Rob

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Normal:

It is unlikely you could see the dirt on these small elements. It does not have to be visible to affect performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard