Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
My 98 SVT gets 21.7 avg. I drive maybe 80%hard(rev to 6k)/20%(rev to 4k). I have paper documentation since I bought the car in June. I figure it out every time I gas up.
I blows my mind that I can drive that hard and get that good a mpg. I have opened the throttle body and cleaned it up. I also use the Techron 3-4 times in 6 months, that helped. And finally the fuel filter was changed.
Wife has an SE Duratech. She gets about the same kind of mileage and she drives real easy.
Just do the filter, clean T/B, use Techron, and drive real hard to blow out the crap in your system. It should help.
Good Luck and welcome. You'll get the mod itch soon

98 SE Duratec/MTX Plain Jane (for now) 98SVT #231/6535 Stock www.pbase.com/ddehoyos/svt
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by rozwell911:
I have a 1999 SVT, and I just replaced the fuel pump and sender unit. AND now it seems like Im getting bad fuel milage too. Originaly I had a bad sneding unit. ANd IO know this one is funtioning normal.

What would cause this bad mileage? Could my previous Sender have been that bad??

Roz

The sending unit has nothing to do with your mileage. It is just part of the guage to give you an estimate of what is in your gas tank. Since your pump was replaced and if the old was really bad maybe this one is pumping more fuel and causing it to get a little lower mpg running rich. The computer will compensate for it and it should be back to what ever you were getting before after a tank. Plus if your other card was faulty then this one will defenitly show a diffrent reading on the guage. Both my SVT and Wifes Mystique get 22 to 28 mpg depending on driving. I check it everytime I fill up.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by svtavino:
Originally posted by rozwell911:
I have a 1999 SVT, and I just replaced the fuel pump and sender unit. AND now it seems like Im getting bad fuel milage too. Originaly I had a bad sneding unit. ANd IO know this one is funtioning normal.

What would cause this bad mileage? Could my previous Sender have been that bad??

Roz

The sending unit has nothing to do with your mileage. It is just part of the guage to give you an estimate of what is in your gas tank. Since your pump was replaced and if the old was really bad maybe this one is pumping more fuel and causing it to get a little lower mpg running rich. The computer will compensate for it and it should be back to what ever you were getting before after a tank. Plus if your other card was faulty then this one will defenitly show a diffrent reading on the guage. Both my SVT and Wifes Mystique get 22 to 28 mpg depending on driving. I check it everytime I fill up.

Oh I understand that the sending unit has nothiong to do with the pump,or losing millage, I was just wondering if the sending units false readings are bad enough so that i could never accuratly see how much gas I have at any give millage.

Example.
before: i could go 120 miles on a 1/4 tank.

after:I can only get between 70 and 100 on a 1/4 tank.

So what im thinking is that my sending unit was really bad and I never could estimalte the correct millage.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Sending units really are that bad all they are are resistor cards with a float arm on them. Resistor cards can suffer from contamination in the fuel and wearing out. Ours seem not to be very accurate I know both of mine take a dive somewhere in the 200 to 300 mile range. The guage cluster has a lot of averaging to componsate for slosh and the tank varations also. Really the fuel guage is just an estimater and you should get to know your car and figure on mileage.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
On one tank of gs, usually about 12 gallons, i can drive abou 220-230 miles. Is that about where everyone else is?

98 SVT #1652 of 6535 My SVT "If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on."
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T

Hey Dude, i'm not much of a technician but , one of the things that makes the difference in a Contour is to use the overdrive only in open road , not in the city's traffic where you are always into the first two gears. Try this and see for results, It worked for me.

Tobah

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by AlbanianSteve:
On one tank of gs, usually about 12 gallons, i can drive abou 220-230 miles. Is that about where everyone else is?

Yeah, that is about where I am at. Wish it was more, but then again oh well could be worse, my wife has a 96 Explorer with the 5.0 V-8 and she only gets the same gas mileage but hers is about 23-25 dollars to fill up.

Joe

1999 Contour SVT ~ Black w/Tan Current Mods: Fog light rewire, 20% Tint, SVT Banner,Rockford Fosgate RFX-8340, 2-12" Bostwick SPL Subs & Audiobahn 600x2 Future Mods: Knauberizing it, lowering
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
if you tires are not balanced does that make you mileage worse???

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by tobah:

Hey Dude, i'm not much of a technician but , one of the things that makes the difference in a Contour is to use the overdrive only in open road , not in the city's traffic where you are always into the first two gears. Try this and see for results, It worked for me.

Tobah

Just a heads up buddy, in signatre it says 5 speed. which means he has a standard transmission not an automatic.

Over drive would have nothing to do with it un less you mean 5th gear. Even then everyone with an 5 speed knows to use 5th gear when ever we can.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by jfish1gta:
if you tires are not balanced does that make you mileage worse???

yes it does and having worn out tires is bad too.....But how much fuel you waste is dependable on the actual tire conditions and location. Because differnt temps and air pressure affect millage too.

Soo you and I can have the exact soame problems and ware on our tires but if you live 5ooo feet above sea level and i live 200 feet we wouldn;t be able to compare our findings.

Roz

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard