Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I've been looking to buy a used SVT and finally found a green one last week. Well we started the car up and were looking it over, everything seemed fine until my Dad turned the wheel and this loud 'moooing' noise started. It almost sounded like when theyare testing the emergency broadcast system over the TV - a loud flat tone. This noise did not seem to affect the running of the car in any way, and the car drove smoothly and quietly during a quick trip through the suburban streets. I read the FAQ on Moosing and searched the forums, but could'nt find any info on this specific problem. I'm just wondering, is this a simple fix like a belt, or should I stay far away from this car? Green SVT's are so rare . . .
The car had been parked for 2 months, lots of cold, wet snowy weather since then. Approx. 40k miles.
Any insight, or advice on shopping for used contours, would be appreciated.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
The noise you are describing sounds like the power steering pump, check to see if the fluid is up and if there is any leaks at the rack. The noise may have come from the prolng sitting period, try and turn the wheels lock to lock many times with the engine running this will heat up the fluid. See if thid\s helps quiet the pump down . Note never hold the steering wheel at the lock position for more than a momment as this can shorten yhe life of the pump. Get the vehicle inspected if you are intereseted.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
....well, don't just post nothing. I have this same problem .

2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 6-speed Black -former owner of a 1999 Navy SE Sport ATX
C
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
C
hey i have the same problem mine is the rack. the seals arnt sealing and the boot filled up with fluid and bust open. but yours could be simple try some power steering conditioner first, then if not look for leaks, have someone look underneath while you turn the wheel back and forth while the car is running, you might need a lift or a pit for visibility cause everything is jammed in there. if you have wheels with big gaps look through them to the boot on the rack on both sides while turning this is what i did. if its a rack it will probably run you from 200 to 250 +core. luckily i have a hook up so i can get it for 135 +core charge, but i dont get charged for the core he trusts me enough to bring it to him. hope this will help.

98se, cheap exhaust-hopefully soon the brullen, hella rs bodykit and eibach's and koni's soon, 17" konig persuits, falken 512 215/45/17, lots more to come, anyone with a pre 98 trunk pm me if you can get rid of it. aim name is konig17se98
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
i say it's classic moosing. My car used to do that as well. If your idlign the car and turn the wheel, the computer bumps up the idle a bit to compensate. If the IAC valve is sticking or whatever, the car will moose. Change the IAC.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I concur with TGO..

Moosing at its best.. especially if it is cooler out..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by midnghtflm:
I concur with TGO..

Moosing at its best.. especially if it is cooler out..

Ray

I must concur with TGO too...Although my power steering rack does mone from time to time, but nothing as loud as you described.

Go onto the main Contour.Org site and look for the throttle hang Fix, in the "fixes" area. This will not only eleiminate the hang but the Moose as well. If the noise idn't gone after that, then its your power steering. Have it taken a look at if your extremly worried, but in my opinion, if its not broke, doesn;t look broke then don;t pay ford to fix it. Oh ya, the throttel hang fix is only a 5 cent fix...read on it, it is actuall simpler to do than it is explained.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Well I think it might be moosing after all, because turning the A/C on/off did trigger the noise also . . . I wasnt sure cause the FAQ said nothing about steering causing the moosing. if it was a bad/leaking rack I would think steering feel would be affected ...

Well thanks guys for the advice, who knows I might be driving a nice Green SVT in the next few weeks!

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
BTW, would it be better to do the throttle hang fix or the Ford TSB fix? is one cheaper/easier? I didn't notice any throttle hang when driving the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard