Next Thread
Print Thread
#499682 12/12/02 04:50 PM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
i've had this problem happen twice in the past week. when i try starting my car in the morning both times it makes a grinding noise, like when you have your car on and try to start it while its on.when i jump it it starts fine, so im thinking it might either be my battery(which is almost new) or my starter. or maybe its one of my power wires from my system shorting somewhere(unlikely). Any ideas?
By the way whats a starter solenoid?

98 SVT MODS: Something or another
#499683 12/13/02 01:37 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
The starter solenoid is a heavy relay that connects the starter motor to the battery. The bendix is probably what your problem is. It is inside the starter and shoves the starter's gear out into the flywheel teeth to turn the engine. When worn, the bendix can stick (worse in cold weather). This lets the motor start turning before the teeth are enguaged. The teeth grind and that will damage the flywheel if it continues.

The starter is expensive, but nothing like having a new flywheel put in.

Fix it quick!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
#499684 12/13/02 04:05 AM
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
The starter solenoid is a heavy relay that connects the starter motor to the battery. The bendix is probably what your problem is. It is inside the starter and shoves the starter's gear out into the flywheel teeth to turn the engine. When worn, the bendix can stick (worse in cold weather). This lets the motor start turning before the teeth are enguaged. The teeth grind and that will damage the flywheel if it continues.

The starter is expensive, but nothing like having a new flywheel put in.

Fix it quick!

The starter is about $150, from Bill J. Install it yourself, in about 1-2 hours. Not too bad...

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
#499685 12/13/02 09:06 AM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Just had a new starter put in. Cost me $380 with parts and labor at the stealership. Now the alternator is bad too!

1998 SVT
#499686 12/13/02 07:16 PM
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
BIGS.... the starter solenoid is the smaller sized round can on the top side of your starter. B+ and
solenoid wires are connected here. The solenoid provides the same function as a fender apron relay
on the old field wound starters Ford used to make. The B+ connection is always HOT. There is a
lever inside the starter that connects the soleniod plunger to the starter drive. Everything has to be
good operating condition for it to operate correctly... not mill. If you do change the starter yourself,
check the condition of the flywheel for wear.

99 SE Sport..ATX SVT exhaust SVT zip tube and air cleaner assembly Tinted windows 17 Cougar Zn Wheels

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard