Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
anm8 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
98 SVT with 99,000 miles. I was just leaving work making fun of the Chevy owner and my starter makes this horrible grinding noise. Won't start. Push the car, pop clutch in second gear. Home. Ford dealer...new starter...Cha ching. 3 hours...cannot loosen last two mounting bolts on starter. Give up until saturday. Car starts fine when I try it. Starts fine 3 times in a row. Is my starter on its way out? I still want to replace the old one this saturday...any advice for the last two bolts other than WD40??
Thanks..Joe
Sorry fot the gap in posts...I got laid off!

98 E0 with 110,000 and counting...
B
B
1. If it is the starter, must likely it's just a little sticky and didn't engauge quite right. Check for smooth motor spin, if anything looks worn or feels a little odd, replace it. Replacing it could be the trick... or...

2. It could have been just stopped in such a position that the starter gear could no engauge correctly. Hopefully, for your sake one of these is what happened... or...

3. It may not have been your starter I'm sorry to say. It may have been a tooth knocked off of your flywheel. If that's the cae, it will get progressively worse over time until on day all it does is grind. For this problem, the engine/transmission will need to be pulled and separated to replace the flywheel.

Good luck man... with the bolts and with the situation.

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
Try this for some more info :
http://www.contour.org/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005562

I used a penetrating oil and my entire body weight
to break the bolts loose.

Trust me they did not want to come loose smile

They gave in after 5 min of struggle.

Good Luck!

J
J
try cleaning the battery terminals.

If you are having an intermittent failure of the starter motor st operate then these are a few possibilities.

open winding in starter motor armature

weak starer solenoid

loose wire on the starter solenoid energizer terminal

loose wire on the starter power terminal

poor starter ground

dirty battery terminals

"careful man, there's a beverage here."
e-mail: boseraq@hotmail.com
aol IM: madhat1412
A
anm8 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well everyone has been great. Thanks for the help! I was talking to my dad and he came up with a bunch of the same scenarios. Thankfully it is great now and I think it may have been a fluke. However, I did try the whole weight thing....220 lbs. and some swearing and they did not give. Hopefully they won't need too. I just have to pay the restocking fee for the starter. Thanks again everybody!

Joe

98 E0 with 110,000 and counting...
I've had my starter replaced twice already and I have 55k miles on my car. Mine would get stuck in a dead spot and not start for a short period of time and then start up with no problems for a while. If you still have a warranty then I woudl get it looked at.

Silver Frost 2000 SVT #1443 of 2150
Mirror Tint/ Momo shift knob/ Kurtz Kustom pedals
Ventshield raingaurds, moonroof and hood bug deflectors
True Rev Induction Kit/ BAT Air Inlet Pipe
Philips HID kit/ PIAA superwhite fogs/ Chrome Gas Bonnet Lifters
Top of line Alpine system( NVE-N851A, DVA-5205, IVA-C800, TUE-T011A, KCE-150V, CHA-S624, PRA-H400), PPI (PC 4100, PC 2150,PRO 10's), Image Dynamics CD2 Comp MH and IDQ-62.
Motorola Timeport HF car kit
Looking to increase performance!
http://photos.yahoo.com/hpick1

Future Mods waiting to be put on:
Lotek Guage Pod w/ volt, a/f ratio, and oil pressue.
Blue neon undercar kit
Aussie Bar w/ upgraded backing plate
Bullitt Fuel Door
Magnacore Wires
Ground Control Kit w/ Koni Struts
T
T
If it what i think it is, you will likely encounter this more and more until it gets fixed. The horrible grinding noise is the starter not engaging fully to the flywheel. Over time, this shears more and more teeth off the flywheel, and/or starter. fwiw, when this happens to me, I just turn the car off, turn the heater blower to high, and then turn the car to the on position so it blows for a while. Turn off, and the try to start the car. Usually, this works. If not, rinse and repeat. hth

The Mark
#464 of 6535
A Few GS-ish mods
J
J
its its fine now, then it is a open winding in the starter motor.

There are so many windings that one of them being open will not make a difference.

The only time the problem will happen is if the starter stops at a position where the open winding is contacting the brushes, which is not very likely but will happen again eventually.

I had this problem on one of my viehicles, and it happened only about once a month.

"careful man, there's a beverage here."
e-mail: boseraq@hotmail.com
aol IM: madhat1412

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard