Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Good work! Lookin' good, man. I've always wanted to have an old 280Z to play with, but I don't know enough about the cars to start that project.
Keep us updated w/ pics.
Oh, and chop the mounts to that spoiler so it sits about 5" lower, and you'll be golden.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by todras:
Is it going above 120mph? I doubt it.

The wing will make a difference a 60mph - any amount of extra downforce is helpfull. Ever stick your hand out the window at 60mph??

Terry Richard 08 Subaru Impreza STI
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
AirKnight:
Loose that wing, it definitely doesn't belong to the beautiful Z.

I second that!

Mondeo 1993 GLX 1,8 16v 115hp 7,5 x 16 Wheels with 215/40-16 Black Taillights custom grille Supersprint muffler Group A racing exhaust system Stroboscope lights in headlights and grille
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
I'm kinda new to the Z world. I have been contemplating buying a 1971 Datsun 240Z. This is the early carbureted version with the smaller engine but lighter weight car. Any recommendations between the model years? I kinda do like the 1977 280Z's. Do you have an opinion on the different years with insights? I have a $2400 California car in my sights. It's a steal at that price since it is in great shape. But, that means I won't be getting a quaife soon. Give me insights on what to look for on Z cars. Thanks,

stock 1998 silver frost SVT E0 #1545 out of 6535 * K&N drop-in air filter * DMD * Koni's w/ stock springs * Autolite double platinum * Tranny cocktail * Mobil 1 Snyth Oil @ 60K miles
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Thanks for the feedback, guys. As for the wing, it is there for a purpose. The car is very light in the rear and and anything above 100 makes the tail squirmish. The wing made a significant diff in the high speed handling of the car. I'm not particularly crazy about the wing myself but since the entire rear of the car is custom anyway, I figured what the hell and went for it.
Paul, 240s are great, but finding one in descent condition is hard to do. If you know how to work on carbs and can find one in good shape, I say go for it. Older Zs are VERY labor intensive and you will always be working on it. -That's a promise. One loose vacuum hose will make the car run like crap. Just like any old car, you should go over it with a fine tooth comb. The first body style (74-78) are generally the best to work on. The older, the car the lighter, too. Safety and emissions regulations took their toll, with bigger and heavier bumpers and doors. That's why mine has no bumper. It weighed over 200 lbs. I also installed 240Z doors for the same reason.
The biggest enemy of older Z's is rust. They are very prone to rustin form the inside out. Look under the car, in the wheel wells, the floor boards, and the engine bay.
Anyway, Check out Zdriver.com and Zcar.com. There are many people on there that know much more about this than I do. I'm still learning the basics. I can tell you one thing though, They are like diving a go-cart and have massive torque at just about any RPM. In the twisties this thing would walk away from my SVT. It sticks like glue and NOTHING beats the sound of in inline 6.
Sorry for the long post!

Brandon Mendenhall '99 CSVT # 229 of 2760 '77 280Z Tomohawk Never rub another man's rhubarb!
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
BTW, any Z that's designated a CA car makes slightly less hp and has a few more emissions devices to rip off!
If you only meant that's where the car is, never mind. But they did make a different model for CA.

Brandon Mendenhall '99 CSVT # 229 of 2760 '77 280Z Tomohawk Never rub another man's rhubarb!
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
When I have a lot of extra money laying to play, I'm getting a '72 240Z and build it up with a LS1.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  hetfield_dup1, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard