Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Hello guys! I am thinking on taking the primary catalityc converters away so i can install a pair of headers (I am keeping the 3rd converter). How do I prevent the Check engine light to turn on? I see tha SHO have some adapters, but is tehre any way to make them myself?

thanks in advance

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
If you remove the two pre cats to put in headers, the headers are most likely application specific and therefor they should already have o2 sensors in them..... If not you should be able to take your car to any good muffler shop and have them blow a hole in the header with a plasma cutter and screw new o2 sensors into them so that the check engine light doesnt turn on..... The primary cat can be swapped out for a universal high flo model or you can punch it out with a broom stick...... This isnt really rocket science....

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
right, [correct me if I'm wrong] headers should have O2 sensor fittings already installed in them. But if the car is from the model years that were changed to the OBDII system then those will have 4 O2 sensors in them. 1 sensor for each manifold before each of the pre-cats, and 1 O2 sensor installed after each pre-cat. If your car has the OBD2 system (I believe OBD2 was incorperated in 97 and on for the contours) then simply having a shop cut the holes and install the fittings to put the 2 after pre-cat sensors in, you will get a check engine light.

The reason is that the sensors after the pre-cats are there to measure the difference in exhaust gas composition after the pre-cats to ensure the converters are operating efficently and without a catalytic converter between these 2 sensors in each manifold the computer will eventually figure it out and set a CEL. Thats why the MIL eliminators are needed.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
wha? wha wha?

Hey! thank for the link!

I asked because I saw MSDS headers and they are beatuiful!byt he way, is there any difference in performance between stainless steel and aluminzed? what's the difference between them (after the price of course)?

If everything works ok for me, my christmas gift will be the headers and a 3liter block, althought the block installation will be done in april when i get money for the heads. Thnaks in advance!

PS.-Yeao, the car is a 1998 OBD II with efficienty of the catalytic converters monitored. Thanks!

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
aluminized are usually made of mild steel which is coated with aluminum. The aluminum provides corrosion protection for a limited ammount of time. This ammount of time is usally determined by the operating temperature of the header and the environment it is operated in, such as if you live in a salt belt state the header would begin to corrode before it would if you lived in a state that doesn't use salt on the roads. In either case you should be able expect an aluminized header to last 5 or more years in salt belt states, longer if salt is not used in your state.

The stainless steel headers are made of a corrosion resistant steel that usually has a nice shinny luster and can be polished to a mirror like finish. It is very un-likely the stainless steel will ever corrode. They can always be cleaned and polished back to a nice shinny luster if for some reason they should be neglected for some time.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Hey thatnks for the assist....i forgot about he MIL adapters.....I purchased MSDS headders and the MIL adapters came with it......so i forgot that you can buy thme seperatly....and i only had 1 hour of sleep the night before i answered this post..lol

ROZ

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Hi JSmith! Thanks for the explanation about the headers...I think I wll go for alumnized, since I don't plan having this car more than 3 years; besides, i live 2240 mts above sea level; however, the one thing that could corrode headers here is gasoline, since it sucks!

Rozwell 911, are the MSDS headers worth the money? how do you feel your car? what other mods have you make to exhaust? Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Joaquin:
Hi JSmith! Thanks for the explanation about the headers...I think I wll go for alumnized, since I don't plan having this car more than 3 years; besides, i live 2240 mts above sea level; however, the one thing that could corrode headers here is gasoline, since it sucks!

Rozwell 911, are the MSDS headers worth the money? how do you feel your car? what other mods have you make to exhaust? Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

I think they are worth the money......Right now Im running the headders to a stright pipe and dual mufflers...Originally I had the main Cat in too. With the main cat In I saw a 27fly wheel HP increse. When i took it out it jumped another 17...so it is possible to see a 40 Hp increase to the fly wheel. Right now i just took them out though.....I blew an exhaust gasket.....and some a$$hole stole them from my back yard...so now I need to order new ones.....so right now I have the stock manifold in place becasue its also my daily driver......Check the Group Buy section...right now there having a Group Buy on MSDS headders...It would be a good thing if you cna get them now.

ROZ

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by rozwell911:

I think they are worth the money......Right now Im running the headders to a stright pipe and dual mufflers...Originally I had the main Cat in too. With the main cat In I saw a 27fly wheel HP increse. When i took it out it jumped another 17...so it is possible to see a 40 Hp increase to the fly wheel.

ROZ

Hey, you have any dyno data showing this amazing amount of HP increase?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard