Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Anyone know where I can purchase the subframe alignment tools (pins) in the USA? I found the following link to an Australian distributor in an earlier post. Will ford sell the alignment pins? I am replacing the front and rear control arms and sway bars (as well as springs, struts, tier rods, end links, etc.) and I am pretty sure I will be dropping the subframe(s) at some point.

Justoffbase Tools

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
This isn't really answering your question, but I think I can make one fairly cheap. I've been trying to get myself hyped up to do the same repairs you're talking about, so I'm trying to figure out all that I can about this.

Someone told me on another post that I could take a 1 inch diameter piece of steel, (I believe about 4.5 inches long,) and reduce the first 2.1 inches in length down to 0.8 inch diameter.

A tractor hitch pin is about 0.75 inches in diameter, and comes in various lengths. I believe I could modify one of these pins to do the job of the alignment tool.

If I figure this out, I'll let you know.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
We have a set of Ford subframe alignment tools here. I'll take pics and measurements and post them tomorrow.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Thanks, I'll look forward to it.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
Hi JED! If you can't find those aligment tools, just spray with aerosol paint the surface where the subrame contacts the chasis and make sure you install it in the same position; the paint will tell. After doing that, you should have the same caster reading than before.

Hope this helps.

J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Thanks, the paint is a good suggestion and will certainly restore the subframe alignment to what it was before disassembly. I am still going to pursue purchasing the subframe alignment pins though (they can??t be that expensive!?). Replacing all those parts is so much work that I have a real desire to do it ??right.? Regardless, I will mark the subframe outlines to see if anything changes much after I use the alignment pins (if I can find the tools!).

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I bought mine from the UK - no one sells them here in Australia.

Make sure you get the correct tools for the alignment as there is more to them than just shoving a piece of metal through the holes into the chassis! They are actually screwed onto the subframe to ensure they are at a right angle to the subframe and chassis, otherwise you cannot be sure if the alignment is 100% accurate.

I bought mine from here: http://www.auto-tools.biz/store/store.php?mode=view_prod&product_id=1816

They were delivered to my door in under seven days! I'd highly recommend them. They are made by Laser Tools and have the part number 2612 on the box.

David. yr 2000 Mondeo ST24 V6 sedan Mondeo ST24 Information Site
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by MondeoST24:
I bought mine from the UK - no one sells them here in Australia.

Make sure you get the correct tools for the alignment as there is more to them than just shoving a piece of metal through the holes into the chassis! They are actually screwed onto the subframe to ensure they are at a right angle to the subframe and chassis, otherwise you cannot be sure if the alignment is 100% accurate.

I bought mine from here: http://www.auto-tools.biz/store/store.php?mode=view_prod&product_id=1816

They were delivered to my door in under seven days! I'd highly recommend them. They are made by Laser Tools and have the part number 2612 on the box.

Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered mine!

J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Hello Ryan! How did you place your order? I signed on at auto-tools.co.uk, joined with password and proceeded to checkout. Unfortunately the checkout page was not set up to process overseas orders (or even addresses). I have sent an email to auto-tools.co.uk asking for guidance on placing my order but am still awaiting reply.

Since you are from MI, USA I figure you must have seen something with the ordering instructions that I missed. Is there a special page for overseas orders? Did you place the order by telephone or by mail? Any info is really appreciated, as I am intent on purchasing these tools!

From the apparent lack of US based specialty tool companies offering these pins, I wonder how many contours actually get the sub-frames aligned after servicing clutches and such...(?!)

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
JEDsContour I just ordered on their normal form and paid the local shipping rate for the UK. I expected to get an Email saying " You owe us $xx extra for postage to Australia", but they just sent them without an extra charge. Most likely the VAT charges included in the price, which overseas buyers don't have to pay, covered the extra anyway.

David. yr 2000 Mondeo ST24 V6 sedan Mondeo ST24 Information Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard