Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#491697 12/01/02 06:46 AM
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Aight, this is just a post of my progress and will have pics soon. I do need some help though. I have a 99 mystique GS. I just removed the trim piece around the cd player/ac knob area. My goal. To paint the trim piece blue and make it to where the ac knobs and lettering glow blue instead of the green. On the heat part it is already red and blue so I am good. I have everything out and it was a biatch to do. I am a noob. But I finally got the black piece off itself and was wondering how i get the green paint like stuff off and how to replace it with blue. I hurt boiling them and then masking the black plastic piece and then a thin coat of blue spray paint? Is this correct or is it different.(that process was off j-body.org for a cavy.) Some pointers pls and I also would like to know what is the best wet sand paper grit to use to sand the trim piece and how to I paint it. sand, paint, prime ect.. what order exactly. Thx alot ceg'r's.

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Number one rule is take your time and most importantly have some fun.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
This is how I did mine...
Lightly sand, then prime, paint about 3-4 coats of whatever color you will use. Then a couple coats of clear.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Aight, how about the a/c knob thing...should i boil that or use a blow dryer type thing to change its glow color if u see what I am trying to say?

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Oh I got one more question on painting that trim piece. Oh yeah nice job on yours. I like the silver. Mine trim piece is that gay wood like crap. And it feels really smooth glossy like it has a plastic cover on it or something....will this matter when I sand?

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Yes, you want a slightly rough surface for the paint to stick to. If you leave it smooth, it will not last. I have never heard of a clear cover over the wood trim. Just sand whats there.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Thx man, any particular brand of paint I should use that works best...What type was urs, it looks good.

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

What type was urs, it looks good.

I used Testors Modelmaster brand.
Thanks!

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
...I don't think you can change the glow color. Or, I should say, the time invested in changing it would be a giant PITA and if your time is valuabe to you, don't try it lol! If you're serious, get a spare from a junkyard and experiment on that. Or, you can get a HVAC indiglo from fordcontour.org. I have a reverse indiglo HVAC which does exactly what you want (no you can't have it!), but it was the only one made, and no more were produced. However, seeing the sudden Indiglo gauge bonanza for out cars on ebay, I say give it a few months and you can probably get one easily.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
all you gotta do it take a dremal tool and sand the green off and you can paint i guess but I dont think it will look as good as if you take like a blue peice of film and lay it behind the HVAC but i never tried the HVAC either I only did the guages but that is how i did the guages

Trollin the boards as of 9/23
Originally posted by GS474:
stock hp is never enough

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard