Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Well, I just finished the fix for the dashboard warping problem, and it went suprisingly well!

Started at around 1:30PM....finished at around 5:00PM.

I was not a big deal, had to try to find my pop rivit gun which I haven't used in about 10 years....that took a while.

Just thought I'd post this for anyone thinking of taking it to a dealer to get it done....DON'T...it is probably one of the easiest things I've done on my Contour...just takes time..that's all...unless you can get it done for free that is.

Ordered the kit of "fordpartsonline.com" well worth it, now my defroster vent fits again...I'm happy for now!

mikey

99 SVT (Black) # 2642 of 2760 So Many Mods...So Little Time!!
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
My car has a little warpage near the defroster and that pisses me off! A 99 shouldn't already have that issue IMHO!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Where exactly on this site is it?

'99 Black/Tan SVT #291 of 2760 Tinted Mirko Splitter Pioneer 8400MP & 3-way 6x8's Clear corners Custom SVT banner A-Pillar pod with Volt, Oil Temp & Press. gauges B&M Diamond Blue Fogs White HVAC the99svttour@yahoo.com
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Contouring:
My car has a little warpage near the defroster and that pisses me off! A 99 shouldn't already have that issue IMHO!

A little warpage? On my 99 the defroster vent wouldn't stay down for sh1t! So I took it to the dealer under recall and they installed this big ugly black strip across my dash. I'm so irked!

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
the warping of the front dash is under recall...go up to your local ford and give them your vin# they will see if your call falls under the recall...i took mine up to get fixed for an accident my car was involved in and they told me to take the car to the service dept because it was under recall...all i had to do was drop it off in the morning and pick it up later that day FREE OF CHARGE!

PRIME-TOUR You're fired! I write the books here! ~Tom~
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I heard the recall was over...didn't really matter to me though...I like to do this stuff myself.

I think it probably is worth a try at a dealer...if you don't!

Main reason I didn't is I like to think I do better work than anything I can get done at the dealer.

mikey

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
so what exactly did it entail to remove the dash. lets say i wanted to remove my whole dash to dye it. (and i dont want to mask off and do it inside the car)

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
X
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
X
Do you have a part number for the kit? It isn't obvious where to look for it on the fordpartsonline.com site. Thanks.

Matt 2000 SVT Toreador #1210 of 2150
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I went out to the shop to look for the receipt for the dash kit so I could get the part number off it, and I seem to have every receipt for every nut and bolt except that one!!

Now that I think about it, I don't think I got it off the web, I had to call them at (800) 549-2005, and ask them if they had the "dash warping fix" from Ford. I reall they had to put me on hold a while then came back with the part number. Real good guys though,...very eager to help. I think it is ran out of a dealer called Atascadero Ford in California.

Got it within afew days.

As far as taking the dash off, it was pretty easy, although with the dash fix, you leave most of the wiring connected and just pull the dash out about 6". I don't imagine it would be much to disconnect the rest of the stuff to get it completely out of the car.

If anyone wants the instructions, PM me and I can try to pull them off Alldata in soft copy, I think I still have a valid subscription...failing that, I could scan my printed copy, and send them off....that is if you don't mind coffee stains!
mikey

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard