Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Nathan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Its been a sad day... I havent had my baby in 3 days now.

I was racing this corrado sat night (I smoked it just to let you know) Anyways Shortly after my car started missing, then died. The battery was still good so that is not a cause of it. I tried to start it back up and all I get is the starter turning the engine over, but doesnt start. Lately it has done this to me in the mornings when its cold outside, but has started after a couple tries. It is sitting at the mechanic now waiting to be looked at. Does anyone have any kind of idea what the cause may be, from the symptoms? Please tell me it wouldnt be a ceased engine or something major like that. Im thinking a fuel pump, or plug wires, or coil pack....hopefully something minor. Any ideas, anyone??

1996 Contour
New amp rack and custom box
pics coming soon

"When im good, im really good, but when Im bad, Im even better"
R
R
Probably a coil pack gone bad. They don't seem to like racing too awfully much.

Take heart. If your engine was seized, it wouldn't turn over at all. Even if it did, it would have made the most awful squealing/scraping sound you've ever heard.

96 Green Mystique
Zetec
ATX
No mods yet (wife's car but I drive it all the time)

"If you want something done right, do it yourself or use an SAE mechanic you can buy beer for."

Ricers are like the mosquito that buzzes in your ear but you can't kill. They just won't go away.
N
Nathan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Quote:
Originally posted by rifter:
Probably a coil pack gone bad. They don't seem to like racing too awfully much.

Take heart. If your engine was seized, it wouldn't turn over at all. Even if it did, it would have made the most awful squealing/scraping sound you've ever heard.

I really appreciate that one

1996 Contour
pics coming soon

M
MFE Offline
M
One coil pack gone won't keep the car from starting. I wonder if you cooked the fuel pump or the IAB got stuck somehow.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6, loaded
'98 Grand Prix GTP 14.88/91 bone stock, awaiting new times from 3.4 pulley, CAI, U-bend removal but it's creeping up on the...
Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101

3-time local class champion autocrosser

Racing school whore
N
Nathan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Quote:
Originally posted by MFE:
One coil pack gone won't keep the car from starting. I wonder if you cooked the fuel pump or the IAB got stuck somehow.

Fuel pump...I have considered that one, what is an IAB? Where is it at, what does it do...how much does it cost??

1996 Contour
pics coming soon

I think he meant IAC, the Idle Air Control. If the valve is stuck, you probably will be able to start the car if you step on the gas pedal a little bit to give enough air for the engine to maintain idle.

UBRF.org , Western New York's Premiere Automotive Forum.

Yeah, I got some bolt-ons.
Car Pics
Video of Brullen cat-back on a \'95 SE
How-to: Short Shifter for Pre-98 MTX

"heres the deal $2 grand buy in winner gets the cash and the girl and the respect. We'll race from 0 to Inf. until I win." - someone on the internet
M
MFE Offline
M
Yeah, what he said...IAC...aka IAB (Bypass), IAS (Solenoid), ISC (Idle Speed Control)

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6, loaded
'98 Grand Prix GTP 14.88/91 bone stock, awaiting new times from 3.4 pulley, CAI, U-bend removal but it's creeping up on the...
Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101

3-time local class champion autocrosser

Racing school whore
D
D
mines been doing somthing similar after it starts up it makes this moosing sound and the engle revs around 3k without my foot on the pedal. is there a method to clean the iac so it doesnt stick? or should i just replace it?

P
P
Can't hurt to try to clean it. I did just that this weekend and it has reduced my moosing from every cold start to once in the last 10.

Pull IAC from upper intake manifold. Fill with TB/Carb cleaner. Scrub spring and shaft with Q Tip. Pour dirty TB cleaner out. Repeat about a dozen times until all the gunk is out (trust me, there will be a lot).

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
N
Nathan Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks everyone for the tips, It turned out it was a broken timing belt pulley, which led to the slipping of the timing belt, thankfully it didnt bend or break any valves, because it is running, and idleing smoothly. Cost me about 600 $$$... Not to everyone....check your timing belts frequently because I have been told they break on these damn cars alot, also if they do...you better be as lucky as me because 9 times out of 10, it bends or breaks your valves...

Good luck

1996 Contour
pics coming soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard