Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
lately my windshield wipers have been skipping across my windshield. it's getting annoying because it is leaving scratches. i have a 2000 svt with 9,400 miles (yes you are reading right). i replaced my wipers about 2 months ago with bosch wipers because my stock ones started to scratch also, so i figured i'd upgrade....i called the ford dealership and they said it could be a wax buildup from getting car washes or that the wiper arms are going (which are like 70 bucks each and are not under warranty) has anyone else had this problem???

SLEEPER BEAUTY (2000 Contour SVT # 2113) SVT traded in for an 2005 altima SE-R (1987 Grand National)
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Are you sure the wiper blades are installed correctly and that the blade holder isn't scratching the windshield? The blades are rubber so they wont be able to scratch glass. You can replace the entire blade & holder for under $15/side. You might also check that the arms themeselves are not loose. I believe it's a 13 or 15mm nut under the little flip-up cover.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I NEVER run my wipers on a dirty dry window.
Even the washers take too long to wet the glass.
For your problem??? perhaps some concrete cutting going on? That concrete dust is the absolute worst stuff ever.
I also use Rain-X and my 55,000mi windshield is just like new.

A Contour? HAh HAH ha HAh ha hah hah ha ha....
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Well if you think it is a wax build up, use some dish liquid "dawn,joy,etc." mixed with warm water and it will cut right through that waxy build up!!

1998.5 CSVT #3617 K&N Custom Intake Custom 2 3/4 Magnaflow cat back Ram HD Power Grip Clutch Energy Suspension Inserts Bosch Platnium + Bf-Goodrich G-force radials "KDWS" Alpine deck CDA-7863 Boston mids More to come: Stock Sucks!!!!
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Make sure there is enough spring pressure on the glass. I think the general rule is 1 pound per inch of blade? Small tension gauge or a fish scale can be utilized to measure the pressure. Other things to check is the grip on the rubber blade itself. The claw should just grasp the blade allowing movement but a hair of clearance side to side. The arm needs to be parallel to the windshield. I've seen some where the shaft in the cowling was a little off plumb; ice does this sometimes. Some parts stores that have service station supplies sell a kit with a tension gauge and blade claw rule. Just remember these cars have "narrow" refills.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If you know that the glass is clean then try cleaning the blades.

To clean the blades, use concentrated (not pre mixed) wiper fluid or rubbing alcohol. Dampen a cloth or paper towel with the cleaner or alcohol, and wipe the rubbe part of the blades. You will be amazed at the black that comes off. Repeat until no more black comes off the blades. The black is a combination of dead rubber and road grime.

As a sort of ongoing maintenance, clean the blades with the same stuff that you clean the windshield with each time you clean the windshield. The blades will last a lot longer and they will clean more consistantly.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

As a sort of ongoing maintenance, clean the blades with the same stuff that you clean the windshield with each time you clean the windshield.

I agree. It makes a difference.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
In earlier forums (pre-format change), Mad Mole suggested using a spray silicone applied to a cloth to wipe off wipers.

Tried it & it works!...eliminates skipping & the blade inserts seem to last longter....my $.02

Is the smoke alarm in your house also known as the dinner bell? '99 Zetec VCT Daily Driver Mild Air Filter Mod
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
thanks for all the ideas guys(gals)...it has been raining a lot here, so i haven't had time to mess around with it. i figured i would try to clean the actual rubber part first...then go to the actual arms next. you don't know how frustrating it is when you're driving in the rain and it's scratching your windshield at the same time...i'll keep everyone posted on what my results are...

SLEEPER BEAUTY (2000 Contour SVT # 2113) SVT traded in for an 2005 altima SE-R (1987 Grand National)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard