Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#476907 11/09/02 11:13 PM
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Didn't plan on it taking 3 hours, but at least it's done!

The rear SVT-spec rear mount (closest to firewall) was a piece of cake to install.

The front SVT mount (closest to bumper) with HD inserts seemed to take forever! The original mount came off easily. When I compared the mounting bolt locations, I noticed the original (1996) was a little bit wider. I used a drill to make the mounting holes on the new SVT mount wider. I also had to hammer out the pre-mounted bolts on the SVT mount and re-use the bolts from the original mount (as the nuts were WELDED to the underside of the mounting platform). I spent the majority of my time struggling to get the pass-through bolt properly threaded.

I was fortunate to have access to a drive-on vehicle lift. I couldn't have imagined crawling around on my back for 3 hours!

End result? My '96 SE MTX (with 96K miles) had been requiring a bit of force to get it into gear at times -- not any more! The new mounts seem to have taken up a LOT of slack. I'm pleased.

1996 Ford Contour SE (Mine): V-6 MTX/DMD/MSDS/K&N3530/Torsen/Spec-1/Split-Exhaust/Walbro/Syncromax..119K 2003 GMC Yukon XL SLT (Hers): 285HP/Stock..93K
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Excellent...all the more reason for me to replace mine! Same problems as far as "slack" goes.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
What mounts did you use and how much were they?

98 SVT 18" Enkei RS6's, NITTO 555 Extremes Intrax lowering springs K&N filter Sho-Shop Y pipe (without cats) Stock "gutted" manifolds Carbon Fiber Cowl hood Carbon fiber sail panels
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Here's what I used (all from BAT):

SVT Rear Mount (#K433C) = 43.80
Front 98+ Mount (#K433A) = 40.50
HD Mount Inserts (#K433B) = 18.50

BAT delivered the parts quickly and charged actual shipping costs. No complaints...

If you've already got a 98+ Duratec, I don't think you'd need to purchase a new front mount -- just drop in the inserts and that'll really firm things up. These inserts won't work on a 95-97 front mount without modifications (i.e. trimming the inserts to fit the smaller-diameter mount).

1996 Ford Contour SE (Mine): V-6 MTX/DMD/MSDS/K&N3530/Torsen/Spec-1/Split-Exhaust/Walbro/Syncromax..119K 2003 GMC Yukon XL SLT (Hers): 285HP/Stock..93K
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
I have a 95 lx, and was wondering what mounts/inserts to use.

M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
I just finished the installation of my front mount today. I didn't use an insert in the new mount. I filled the voids in the mount with windshield urethane.

My biggest problem with the front mount installation was getting the holes enlarged the right amount (so that the old bolts would thread into the original mounting nuts).

My short drive around the block felt really good. I can't wait to get a few more miles on this mod.

This seems like it will ge a good mod.

Mike

1996 SE MTX, Desert Violet (Ford's name for this color blows chunks! I prefer Black Cherry ) Dunlop Sport 5000s, Ray McNairy's THFix, Magnecor wires

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard