Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Every once in a while when I leave the parking lot I cannot shift into reverse. When the problem occurs I put the car in 1st gear and inch forward a bit. Then the reverse is fine. This happens far between.

I have changed my MTX to the cocktail but the problem reappeard again last week. I thought I would throw this on here to see if anybody else has ever experienced this.

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yep, I've experienced that too, both on my CSVT and other MTX cars. I consider it "normal" and don't worry about it.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
I too have had this "problem" with every MT car I have owned. Don't worry about it.

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Thanks, I feel a little better!

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I've also had this where I can't get it all the way in. I'm glad I now know that this is normal. MTX's are so much fun

2000 SVT Contour (Tropic Green) -Toyo Proxes T1-S's (215/45 ZR 17) -17x7 Emkei RS5 Wheels -Sylvania SilverStars (High and low beams) -Pioneer DEH-P4400 -Pioneer TS-A6867's (front and back) -K&N Air Filter
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by mcciavarella:
I too have had this "problem" with every MT car I have owned. Don't worry about it.
\

I too have had this problem on every manual car/SUV I've owned. It's normal.

I asked my transmission guy about it and he said it's because they don't install synchro's for reverse gears.

1998 T-Red SVT #957 Born 5/14/1997
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
A highly knowledgeable individual on our cars explained something to me that I thought I would add to the subject.

Try this,start the car with the e brake on in neutral,when the engine is running take your foot off the clutch and just blip the gas a couple of times.This will get the lube to the selectors etc...which does not happen when your foot is on the cluch...try it.

I will give this a try next time it happens.

L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
I had taht in my tempo I was told it was some syncro.. and my friend a mechanic told me to do what u do.. put it in first then reverse....

99 Silver frost Contour LX ztec..(RIP March 24th 2004 at 92,376 miles ) timing belt snaped goin 45 New whip 2003 Silver Mustang
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by TommySVT:

I asked my transmission guy about it and he said it's because they don't install synchro's for reverse gears.

Depends on the car. I believe that the mose transmissions, including the MTX75, have a synchro on reverse. The proof is that you can put it in reverse while rolling a bit either forward or back and it won't grind. My old Miata had a non-synchro reverse gear, and it had to be absolutely stopped to grab reverse without grinding.

As for blipping the throttle with your foot off the clutch when cold, remember that your motor is cold too and the oil isn't flowing as well as when hot, so if you do this don't overdo it.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Sorry to put a damper on the warm fuzzy feeling of having something explained as 'normal', but this is NOT normal. I have the same problem and it is definitely not the same as the no-syncro-on-reverse scenario. That is when input gears are spinning but output gears aren't, so with out syncros there is some grind to get past (bringing output gears to a stop) when shifting into reverse. Or neither the input nor the output gears are spinning so you can encounter a situation where into two teeth butting up against one another. In this case letting off the clutch just a bit will nudge the input gear so you can slip into revers. In both of these cases you can feel that you aren't able to move the lever all the way into the "in gear" position for reverse. *BUT* What jborge (and I, and others) are experiencing is quite different. It's as tho the 'place' for reverse has moved down and you can't get the lever all the way there. It's really weird. I find it difficult to determine weather or not I'm in gear until I let the clutch out. Then I either move or grind. It can be quite embarassing. Also I've run into a couple of situations where I couldn't get it to ever go in. Had to find a forward way out. A couple of times it has affected 4th and 2nd too. TH claims that it has to do with a under-designed "shift tower" and that the real cure is to get the better one from a Focus MTX75. Doesn't sound like an easy job though. I would love to take mine in as it is still under warrantee, but I can never get it to happen when I want it too. I get the problem maybe 5% of the time or less. Any new thoughts on this?

Last edited by duc1; 11/18/02 08:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard