Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by MystiqueSVT:

If you're ever in Ft. Lauderdale....look me up!!

Why look you up, all I got to do is look behind me and there you'll be

1998.5 CSVT #3617 K&N Custom Intake Custom 2 3/4 Magnaflow cat back Ram HD Power Grip Clutch Energy Suspension Inserts Bosch Platnium + Bf-Goodrich G-force radials "KDWS" Alpine deck CDA-7863 Boston mids More to come: Stock Sucks!!!!
W
W
Was that a joke? How could gutting your pre catalytic converters HURT performance? Don't say anything about a lack of backpressure because backpressure is NEVER a good thing... So WHAT exactly would it be hurting? Free flowing exhaust is just about the best thing you can do for your car. It will love you for it.

I've gutted both the precats on my VR-4... If I was 100% sure I could gut the 'Tour and still pass emissions, I would. In a heartbeat.

So, anyone that has done it... do you pass emissions with just a main cat? how bout no cats at all? heh

'93 Pearl White 3000GT VR-4: BPU - Exhaust, Intake, Boost Controller - [~400 HP @ Flywheel] - Hoping for 12 second 1/4 '96 Contour LX ATX: K&N Filter MY DAILY DRIVER AGAIN! WOOHOO! Don't expect this thing to stay stock!
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
No, that was not a joke, if you remove the convertor, yes you will see gains however if you just "punch it out" then the hollow chamber will creat turbulance and hinder performance !!!!!!!!

1998.5 CSVT #3617 K&N Custom Intake Custom 2 3/4 Magnaflow cat back Ram HD Power Grip Clutch Energy Suspension Inserts Bosch Platnium + Bf-Goodrich G-force radials "KDWS" Alpine deck CDA-7863 Boston mids More to come: Stock Sucks!!!!
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
No, that was not a joke, if you remove the convertor, yes you will see gains however if you just "punch it out" then the hollow chamber will creat turbulance and hinder performance !!!!!!!!

I can tell you one thing.....the performance of my car is not hindered. If you'd like to use common sense and not theory on this one......take a good look at the actual ceramic that makes up the Cat. The Contour pre-cats are roughly 6 inches long and about 3 inches in diameter. The actual space that the exhaust gases pass through are no wider than 1/16th of an inch square. Now...this would mean a 6 inch bottleneck of 1/16 of an inch.

Do the math. If these are removed how could they possibly restrict/disrupt airflow more than them being there???

2000 WS6 Convertible A4 13.11 @ 107.5 with a lid, Ram Air and LTs Gone:95 Mystique LS Young America edition V6, MTX 15.6 @ 91
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by MystiqueSVT:
I can tell you one thing.....the performance of my car is not hindered. If you'd like to use common sense and not theory on this one......take a good look at the actual ceramic that makes up the Cat. The Contour pre-cats are roughly 6 inches long and about 3 inches in diameter. The actual space that the exhaust gases pass through are no wider than 1/16th of an inch square. Now...this would mean a 6 inch bottleneck of 1/16 of an inch.

Do the math. If these are removed how could they possibly restrict/disrupt airflow more than them being there???

Because that hollowed cat isn't a straight pipe. The area opens and closes up again causing the air flow to be disrupted. A straight pipe would be good, but a hollowed cat will not be much better than a fully functioning cat. I cats honeycomb straightens the air out as it enters the cat.

1998 T-Red SVT #957 Born 5/14/1997
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard