Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Nezzer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have been having engine troubles recently that are more than likely the fault of a bad catalytic converter. I wouldnt mind removing it alltogether. I was curious what does it take to remove it? I am sure there are sensors that hook up to it. What happens to these?

Also, I understand there are precats and a main cat. I dont know which one is bad but was curious what are peoples impressions of removing either one? Is it possible to eliminate the precats without getting new headers. Thanks for the info.

------- 98 SVT contour
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
You can gut the precats, but it is a bitch. Do a search for the procedure.

You can replace the main cat with an off-road y-pipe. ShoShop sells them.

1998 T-Red SVT #957 Born 5/14/1997
W
W
Take off the cats... take a wood drill bit.. larger the diameter, the better... and hack that [censored] out. Make it as clean as possible.

'93 Pearl White 3000GT VR-4: BPU - Exhaust, Intake, Boost Controller - [~400 HP @ Flywheel] - Hoping for 12 second 1/4 '96 Contour LX ATX: K&N Filter MY DAILY DRIVER AGAIN! WOOHOO! Don't expect this thing to stay stock!
W
W
I have a question... Can a Contour still pass an emissions test with gutted Pre-cats? How about cutted Pre-cats AND gutted main cat?

'93 Pearl White 3000GT VR-4: BPU - Exhaust, Intake, Boost Controller - [~400 HP @ Flywheel] - Hoping for 12 second 1/4 '96 Contour LX ATX: K&N Filter MY DAILY DRIVER AGAIN! WOOHOO! Don't expect this thing to stay stock!
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
the gain from a hollow converter is very unimpressive, and you really will not notice a difference (on the street or the dyno). it's not worth the harm it does to the enviroment.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by LittleFishie:
the gain from a hollow converter is very unimpressive, and you really will not notice a difference (on the street or the dyno).

Matter of fact you may likely and most likely will have a power loss as the emptied cat now acts as an expansion chamber in your exhaust and slows exhaust velocity and hurts scavaging.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
hasn't anyone dyno'ed the gutted pre-cats yet? i don't think i've ever seen a dyno plot.....

about the power loss....wouldn't it actually help? isn't it basically the same principal as getting the headers, minus of course the smoother lines and shorter paths.

just wondering.....

Hugo ------ 98 SVT - 53k mi - SOLD 04 Mazda3 S 5-Dr
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by GR8SVT:
hasn't anyone dyno'ed the gutted pre-cats yet? i don't think i've ever seen a dyno plot.....

about the power loss....wouldn't it actually help? isn't it basically the same principal as getting the headers, minus of course the smoother lines and shorter paths.

just wondering.....

There have been numerous debates on this subject....there was even a dyno that I've seen that compared a gutted pre-cat w/ sho y-pipe vs the msds headers. If my memory serves me correctly, they had similar performance.

I've got gutted pre-cats and the Sho y-pipe on my V6 LS and I can regulary hang with modified SVTs.......so I'd have to say that there is in fact a power gain.

2000 WS6 Convertible A4 13.11 @ 107.5 with a lid, Ram Air and LTs Gone:95 Mystique LS Young America edition V6, MTX 15.6 @ 91
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by MystiqueSVT:

I've got gutted pre-cats and the Sho y-pipe on my V6 LS and I can regulary hang with modified SVTs.......so I'd have to say that there is in fact a power gain.

Well, If all the mods you got are listed I will gladly race you!!!!!

Opppsss, I forgot my car is in the shop !!!

1998.5 CSVT #3617 K&N Custom Intake Custom 2 3/4 Magnaflow cat back Ram HD Power Grip Clutch Energy Suspension Inserts Bosch Platnium + Bf-Goodrich G-force radials "KDWS" Alpine deck CDA-7863 Boston mids More to come: Stock Sucks!!!!
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
Originally posted by MystiqueSVT:

Well, If all the mods you got are listed I will gladly race you!!!!!

Opppsss, I forgot my car is in the shop !!!

Well...don't forget....my 95 weighs around 200 lbs less than your SVT according to the data that I can find (2930 to 3150)....I've also got a KKM, BAT intake, Optimized TB, and SVT exhaust to go with my gutted pre-cats and Sho Y-Pipe.

If you're ever in Ft. Lauderdale....look me up!!

2000 WS6 Convertible A4 13.11 @ 107.5 with a lid, Ram Air and LTs Gone:95 Mystique LS Young America edition V6, MTX 15.6 @ 91
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard