Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Has happened 2 times in past year, 3 times in last month - >50% power loss in the upper RPM range - power comes back after car off and cooled down. First two times were in hot, humid conditions, but the last two times were in cool, dry weather. First two times were when I was pushing the car (first time while on a road course weekend). Last two times were normal highway driving. Usually I can go from 4k RPM to 6.5k in 3.3s - when car in this low-power mode takes something like 5s.

No codes any time. 2.5L non-SVT - only power mods are KKM and aftermarket exhaust. The IAT sensor is right in the air flow, by the way (hole driller in KKM). Running 'regular' (i.e. low octane) gas.

My suspicion is that the computer is backing off the timing for whatever reason, but I haven't heard of this affecting anyone else (did a search). Any possibility of intermittent vacuum leaks, etc.? Sticky secondaries?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
IMRC is going

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Thanks Roger. How can I check and/or repair this?
Eric

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Both sides of the lower intake have shafts with levers sticking out the back, below and on either side of the throttle body. You can see the levers if you hold a light over the water pump belt and look under the throttlebody. On a 95 they are connected to a vacuum diaphram pot with metal linkages. Later years have cables like on a bicycle connected to a black box lower down. I believe the front lever should be rotated clockwise at idle, in any case the levers should rotate 90 degrees when the engine RPM's are above 4k. It will take 2-3 seconds to move and they should go back when the RPM's drop below 3.5k. Operation should be smooth.

Check when working so you see how they work.
Carry a flashlight and check again when it acts up.

Installation of a new unit (I assume you have the box)requires removal of intake duct, throttle body, EGR valve - unless you have really small hands. You may just want to pull the intakes and clean them since oil fumes from the PCV build up in the intake and make the shafts and butterflies stick.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard