Next Thread
Print Thread
#49871 12/17/01 05:49 PM
B
bxd20 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Here's another noise maker. smile

When the wiper blades are running, I hear a ticking kind of noise. Maybe what tapping a screwdriver on a piece of glass would sound like. The noise is definitely not the rubber screeching on the windshield.

I did lift the arms off the windshield and run the wipers, and the noise went away.

I think where the arm meets the metal part of the blade, the metal-to-metal pivot connection is causing this noise.

Before I try to get this replaced under warranty... anyone else had this one?

Brian Dors
99 SVT

#49872 12/18/01 07:21 AM
You can decrease the gap between the blade refill and the arm with a pair or pliers. Be carefull, the metal is soft. Gas station wiper refill kits used to come with a metal gauge you slip into the slot and then clamp down on them. This should stop the tick, tick, tick of the blades as they change direction.

#49873 12/21/01 12:00 AM
S
S
It is possibly play in the wiper linkage as this only makes noise when the wipers are on the glass this is due to the fact that when the wipers are on the glass and moving there is load on the motor/ linkage due to friction from the window and spring tension from the arms. To confirm any play / movement with the wipers off try and move the arms back and forth to notice any excess free play. There could even be something contacting the linkage to make this noise in a certain location. Try and lubricte all wiper linkage pivot points under cowl panel and don't forget the wiper arm posts bottom side, this may help the noise situation . With your wipers on and runnig and you outside the car it should not be to hard to identify where the noise is coming from.

#49874 12/21/01 12:07 AM
B
bxd20 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I think 2X95SEs was on the right track, the noise is around the wiper blades themselves. I will check those clasps, perhaps tighten a bit, and lubricate the pivot points around there.

Thanks for your help guys.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard