Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#455046 10/08/02 07:00 PM
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
i had my clutch replaced about 4 mos. ago and i remember ford telling me that my flywheel was fine and didn't need to be machined for the new clutch....now when i shift under high rpms (4800 to 5800) i hear what i believe to be a slipping/grinding noise ....now i found out from a friend that whenever you change a clutch, you should automatically machine the flywheel....to guarantee that there will be no slipping. anyone have any input on this?......if this is true, i'm not sure how i can make ford responsible for this, since they are the "experts" on their own car, you would think they would of recommended it, but they actually told me it was fine....but i can't prove that is what they said, and my invoice makes no referrence to the flywheel during the clutch repair...
does anyone: (1) have any suggestions as to how to approach ford on this and (2) has anyone who has had a clutch replaced, experience this noise i'm hearing.....
any other info is greatly appreciated..

99'Contour SVT #1766 of 2760 pionner deh-4400 cd/xm head unit Koni adjustables w/ H&R sport springs Yokohama ES-100 225/50/R16
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Thre things come to mind:

1. When replacing the clutch always resurface the flywheel.

2. If the service was done under warranty they do the minimum. I am not saying it is right, it's just the way they do it.

3. It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Slippage would not cause grinding when you shift.

Bring it back and tell them there is a problem with the way it shifts.

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
THANKS MC....I'M GONNA DO THAT.....I HATE THE DEALER..THEY ALWAYS TRY TO RIP YOU OFF.....TAKE IT EASY..

99'Contour SVT #1766 of 2760 pionner deh-4400 cd/xm head unit Koni adjustables w/ H&R sport springs Yokohama ES-100 225/50/R16
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
If they replaced your clutch and pressure plate 4 monts ago, then you have a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty.

When they changed my clutch they resurfaced the flywheel, have it stated on my bill.

BTW: ford did the job

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition Blue Steel 99 Tropic Green SVT (Former Owner) #151 of 710 Born on 10/07/98 Have you driven a FRAUD lately?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I've changed hundreds of clutches without surfacing the flywheel. Often it is just a waste of time and money. The flywheel should always be inspected carefully and if in doubt, it is wise to resurface it.

Make sure that it is resurfaced by someone that knows what they are doing, especially if the flywheel is a "stepped" flywheel. The relationship between the "steps" is critical. If it is done improperly it is worse than not surfacing it.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard