Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
Took my car to Ford for some small warranty work before it ran out.

One of the things that I mentioned was that the tranny was "hard to shift into first and reverse, especially cold" and requested that they drain and re-fill it (expecting no charge for the work but to pay for the fluid).

So I pick the car up and they tell me that the transmission is a "non-serviceable transimission". What the hell are they talking about? Isn't draining and re-filling it considered some form of service?

Seems to me they only wanted to take care of the work I was paying for (DMD install with new belt, new brake pads, re-surface rotors) and warranty work was either "could not duplicate" or "no problem found". They actually stated that my dash (already a replacement) with all the squeaks and creaks was "tight to specification".

Sorry for the rant, back to the tranny question

Whitey 99 Blk/Tan SVT DMD (and love it!) SCA CAI w/ KKM Borla Catback SHO Y-Pipe and Hi-flow cat
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Ford has no specified manual trans fluid change interval. The fluid is supposed to last for the life of the car. In that sense, it is "non-servicable".

But, the trans does have both a drain plug and a fill plug so the fluid can be changed. I change mine every 30,000 miles. I suggest that you read the how to in the FAQ and do it yourself.

The FAQ tells about using Mobil 1 ATF with 2 oz of Ford friction modifier. It also mentions using the newer Ford synthetic fluid but it is very expensive and doesn't seem to work any better. Friction modifier is still recommended with the Ford synthetic fluid.

Personally, I use the Chrysler ATF+3 which already has a high level of friction modifier. You will not believe the improvement in overall shift quality when you change the fluid using some friction modifier.

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=22

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Whitey
go to AAMCO and get their 114 dollar transmission basic service. It should resolve your problem if ofcourse they do not find a terminal issue

W
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
W
Thanks Guys.

Big Jim,

I planned on doing it myself but figured since it was going to the dealer anyway to just let the professionals take care of it. Guess that was a mistake

With the Chrysler ATF+3, did you still use the friction modifier or straight up?

Any other opinions on the best fluid? Terry, what do you use when you work on them?

Whitey 99 Blk/Tan SVT DMD (and love it!) SCA CAI w/ KKM Borla Catback SHO Y-Pipe and Hi-flow cat
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I took Big Jim's advice and switched to the ATF 3 in my zetec mtx. I love it....huge improvement in the shift quality.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
ATF+3 has enough friction modifier in it already that more is not needed. I use it "straight up".

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard