Print Thread
#442117 09/20/02 09:45 PM
P
PsYcHo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
1999 Contour SE 37000 miles........................
My O/D light started flashing and a few miles later the check engine light came on. I took it to a dealer who ran a diagnostic test of everything....cost me almost 200 bucks and they said there was nothing wrong with it and they cleared the error code. Well.....that worked....unitl the next time I got on the highway for more than about 5 min. Yes....I took it back and they said they could run the test again and NO it was not free.....SOOOOO...I took it somewhere else....again no problems and after a few miles the light starts flashing at me again, Oh and this time it also shifts real hard in the lower gears. I checked the tranny fluid....it is good. Anyone have any ideas on the problem (other than its a Ford)?
Thanks!
Oh yea.....we have gotten the dash replaced twice and it is warping again. grrrrrrrr

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I have the same problem. I just posted almost the same thing in the Transmission forum.
I have a 96 GL ATX.

Who Watches the Watcher? www.mypersonalhomepage.net
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
that happened to me once, i was going 90mph. i hit the OD button, not a good idea. dropped it into drive (light still flashing) went from 90 to 70 in half a second lol. scary as [censored]

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
P
PsYcHo Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
I guess no one knows what it wrong.....oh well........took it to Autozone for the CEL.....said there was not a problem!
I knew I should not have got a ford grrrrrrr

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by PsYcHo:

I knew I should not have got a ford grrrrrrr

ahhhh someone sees the light! You da MAN!

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I haven't seen a conclusve post on this subject yet. Here's a recent thread which includes my own experience.
If you want to change something to see if it works I would suggest the air in your tires, cheaper than plugs and probably has the same corelation.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
whenever I've seen flashing O/D lights(on other cars, not contours), it is a speed sensor. This could be it, if you also have hard shifts, but is your speedo working fine?
Anyway, a good mechanic can test a speed sensor.

99 Silver SVT Contour. Run o' the mill mods.
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
I had the same thing happen to me. When mine did it, the transmission shifted hard into 2nd aswell. I brought it in and it turned out to be a clogged transmision filter. So after being flushed out and getting a new filter it stopped. I think the car decided it hadn't cost me any money in a while so it deceided to act up .

1996 Mystique GS Zetec, ATX

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard