Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
In advance, i know what the timinig belt slapping the cover sounds like and this isn't it. I have a ticking coming fromm around the left side of the engine, it sounds like the fuel injector to me, however my dad is saying it sounds like a valve, I have 83k on it now, shold i be close to throwing a valve anytime soon?? ALos when i start the car it clicks real fast for maybe 2-3 secs and then slows down.
thanks in advance for advice.

Derek Johnson 88 TurboTBird 32psi, t3/t4 bb 50trim, megasquirt, 3 bar map, 50lb inj, roller cam w adj. gear, header, 3" downpipe and full exhaust, gutted intake manifolds, spec stg 3 95SE 3L gone
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
It could be one of the hydraulic valve lifters being worn. Our engines are zero valve clearance design -- any clearance is taken out by the self-adjusting hydraulic valve lifters. These lifters work on engine oil and when they wear they can gradually lose the hold of oil and fail to take out the valve clearance, or part of the clearance, hence the noise. Worn lifters are usually sensitive to engine oil pressure and viscosity, so top up your oil to a bit over max. mark and see if anything changes.

I used to own an old Nissan 1990 Stanza that had a badly worn valve lifter on an exaust valve. It caused significant valve timing lag whenever oil level is 1/3 below the "Hi" mark, and the engine would give off a "puff...puff..." exaust noise when oil level bottomed, probably due to the severely lagged valve timing and insufficient valve opening. I did nothing but kept the engine oil topped, and that worked for me.

Hope it helps.

1997 Contour Sport Duratec MTX 2000 Olds Intrigue GLS Sterling Edition
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
so how do i tell if it is the lifter or the fuel injector, and if the lifter is bad and goes bad, is it gonna trash my engine???
thanks,

Derek Johnson 88 TurboTBird 32psi, t3/t4 bb 50trim, megasquirt, 3 bar map, 50lb inj, roller cam w adj. gear, header, 3" downpipe and full exhaust, gutted intake manifolds, spec stg 3 95SE 3L gone
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Check in the dark maybe a bad plug wire.Usually a hydraulic lifter doesn't make any noise unless you have low oil pressure or some carbon in the lifter cavity.

Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Well, we fixed it!

Solution...don't wait 15,000 miles between oil changes , and try to keep at least 2 quarts of oil in your engine .
Boy he's got some things about cars to learn.

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Yeah he's gotta exagerate things quite a bit to make up for me beating his large brotherly a$$ in races.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard