Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#440264 09/18/02 12:40 PM
A
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
A
So yesterday after work, I'm talking to a mechanic aquaintence of mine about moosing and he suggested that I just spend the $150 or so on a cold air intake to replace the whole thing. He said that this would not only solve moosing, but it would add a few horse power as well. That sounds sweet. I would of course do the installation myself, even though at this point I really don't have a good idea of how to install it. I'll research and do it myself. My question to anyone who has experience with or is currently running with a cold air intake is what are the cons to doing something like this as far as performance is concerned? Thanks

Tim

#440265 09/18/02 02:53 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Cold air intake is big help IMO. Improving the fender draw with hoses to the bumper area is (arguably) not true ram air but will help deliver cooler air to your intake. This may not solve moosing but it won't make it any worse. If you car start moaning when the weather starts cooling, you may need the TH fix.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
#440266 09/18/02 03:15 PM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
I have done this on several cars previously. MPG's will improve when you are cruising. It's hard to measure HP increase since on a dyno the car isn't moving. But look at it this way, a well designed system never looses power. As above a true "Ram Air" is more complicated. Most people use an inlet near the bottom of the bumper. This is a good source of fresh, cool air when the car is moving. Make sure to use an air filter that can get a little wet, like K&N. Also filter maintainace is greatly increase. You will pick up a lot more dirt if the inlet is near the ground. Check/clean/replace the filter every six months. Watch out for deep puddles! There is an increased chance of hydrolock with an air inlet that close to the ground.

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
#440267 09/18/02 04:44 PM
A
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Thanks! You both brought up good stuff that I hadn't thought of. The one thing I think that'll bother me the most is the chance of getting water in my intake. I wouldn't imagine that this would be a glaring issue or a lot less people would perform the mod to their vehicle.
okay, now, does anybody know of a good how to on installing one of these, I personally have never messed with the intake before. I know where it is and I could figure a lot out just by following the parts, but a how to would be nice.

Tim

#440268 09/18/02 05:37 PM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L

The SVT has a cold air pickup from the factory. This sytem however can be improved. The inlet tube in the fender is smallish. Remove the air filter assembly from your car. You will notice the OD of the filter is the same as the ID of the housing, again a limitation. I would suggest using a 4" diamater plastic hose connected the a home made air box with a K&N cone filter. I just purchased the SHO Shop air box/filter assembly. It uses the stock fender inlet. When I get it I will take a look on how to improve the inlet tube part, the airbox/filter looks good already. If I have something good I will post it. Also use the search function on this site. Currently there is a thread showing a home made air box.

www.shoshop.com

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
#440269 09/18/02 09:22 PM
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Moosing is caused by an improperly operating IAC valve assembly and has nothing to do with the intake. Performing the throttle hang fix or replacing/cleaning the IAC assembly is the only way to cure moosing. In fact, moosing will get louder with an aftermarket filter vs. stock air box.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
#440270 09/19/02 03:06 AM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I will second that from experience. My K&N setup made the moose really loud. Once I cleaned the egr valve (it can be done) the moose went away.

98 EO #587 Currently Dirt Jumping
#440271 09/19/02 05:08 AM
N
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
N
Odd, when I put my cold air intake from SCA on, my moose died. It was very definitely moosing beforehand and since the intake went on, haven't heard a so much as a small groan. Never done the TH fix either.

Shawn Clone Jezabel- 1999 SE Sport V6 MTX- Severly wounded, comatose Silver frost/Black Exterior-Midnight Blue Interior The Firecracker- 1995 Mystique LS V6 MTX stock and backfiring like a rifle shot I have 3 loves, my God, Brittany, and my Car.
#440272 09/19/02 03:57 PM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
Odd, when I put my cold air intake from SCA on, my moose died. It was very definitely moosing beforehand and since the intake went on, haven't heard a so much as a small groan. Never done the TH fix either.

Do you have a pic of that intake?

#440273 09/19/02 08:30 PM
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
When I put my KKM on, that was the first time I experienced the moose. Ever since I did the TH-fix, it is gone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard