Next Thread
Print Thread
#437839 09/15/02 04:43 PM
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Some of you may remember my post about the howling in the front left wheel area. I have some specific info about it. When I'm driving at slower speeds, I can hear a brushing sound coming from the wheel. When I brake for a stop sign or some thing and lay off the brake to roll up to the line, that's when the howling happens. Does that still sound like bearings or is this a brake problem? Also, last night when I was driving, I noticed that the brake light came on whenever I accelerated kinda hard. I wasn't flooring it or anything, but I'm a 20 year old guy with a car, of course I accelerate a little bit! The light would go off once I eased back off the gas, usually just before it changed gears. Now, does anyone have any idea what this is? The light would go off as soon as I hit the brakes as well. So, does this sound like bearings? brakes? Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Rob T. 95 Ford Contour GL Zetec Engine Inherited from my dad, so no mods at all. One sweet ride though!
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Brake light was just the brake fluid, not really sure why it came on, the tank was 3/4 full. But I topped it off and it fixed that. Any ideas on the noise?

Rob T. 95 Ford Contour GL Zetec Engine Inherited from my dad, so no mods at all. One sweet ride though!
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Usually, when brake fluid is low, it means the brakes are worn...check your brake pads.

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I checked my paperwork, the brake pads and rotors were replaced at 37,000 miles. I now have 84,000. So, I imagine they are probably due to be changed. But would that be the cause of the howling at all?

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
metal on metal....pad could be gone.

Some replacement pads have wear indicator, a little piece of spring steel that scrapes on rotor when pads are worn.

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
OK, there was a brushing/scraping noise on the front left tire, but I removed that hubcap and it went away. There was a smooth mark on the tire where it looked like the hubcap was rubbing against the tire and causing the brushing noise, not the howl however. Does this have to do with anything?

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
The howling noise ended up being the brake pads. Unfortunately, the rotors are also going. So, I had to get them repaired today. Cost me $303 for both rotors and pads. They wanted me to replace the calipers as well, but that would have run about $650!! No thanks! Does $303 seem like alot to any of you for rotors and pads? Get back to me, thanks!

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Installed new front rotors and ceramic pads on the 98 SE back in January. Parts cost was around $145 from CarQuest. The ceramic pads were very expensive at almost 70 bucks for the front, but I now have almost NO brake dusting problems from the front.

Did my own labor.

Steve
98 SE Sport

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard