Print Thread
#436451 09/12/02 11:35 PM
K
KBOOM37 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Recently I acquired a 95 contour with a bad engine so I swapped it out for a good one. The car runs a little rough and is showing on my scanner that I have a bad O2 sensor this is not a big deal but what scares me is that when I give her some gas the tires will actually chirp between first and second gear and my overdrive does not seem to be doing anything even when I push the button on the console. The transmission fluid level is correct and the color good.The car seems to drive fine until you kick it down then it drops down into passing gear hard and when it comes out it is almost as hard. I really believe that the tranny is good but there is some sort of sensor or control problem .Does anyone know what sort of problem would cause this?.

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
try resetting your computer first. see if it does it then. might be a computer issue considering you swapped engines ??? might want to flash the computer with an updated program? i dont know enough to say exactly what it is, im just throwin ideas.

2005 Focus ST
K
KBOOM37 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
I will reset the computer. Changing engines out went fairly well with a few sensor changes and I had to swap out intakes, but I did stay with the same computer, wiring ,etc and feel pretty confident that the engine swap itself has no bearing, however I thought it a good idea to mention it just incase there maybe something that I have over looked.I know on older cars that you had a C.V cable on the tranny that you could adjust which in turn changed the shift point as well as the harshness of shift.I really don't know if there was a problem with the tranny before the engine swap because I bought the car not running and the fellow I bought it from is avoiding me I don't know why he won't talk to me I knew that the car needed work and that it was as is where is.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Maybe the tranny has had a shift kit installed ?
How many miles do you have on the Contour ?

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Maybe the previous owner filled the tranny with type F fluid or something? You might want to drain and refill the tranny (2x) just to make sure it has good Mercon fluid. The computer reset worked for mine when it started shifting hard after an engine cleaning.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
K
KBOOM37 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Drained fluid and replaced with mercron just in case but still shifting hard and still no overdrive.Is there a vacuum hose or something I may have missed when I put it back together.My car has 100,000 miles on it.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard