Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Any suggestions? Must be hubcentric and obviously match our bolt pattern/spacing. Thanks.
Eric

CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Brought mine thru the local Import Parts Store (S&G).

Anthony B. Davis 2Deep2 Silver SVT 2002 IASCA SQ Ult Ama 601+ World Champion runner up 2002 SLAP dBQ Champion 2000 USAC SQ World Champion 2002 USACi SQ World Champion
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by FoxEric:
Any suggestions? Must be hubcentric and obviously match our bolt pattern/spacing. Thanks.
Eric

I bought mine from a local shop. Only get them if you really need to. I ran into big problem with mine. JVT knows what I am talking about.

-Antonio

Now I hate America? That is a new one to me.
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Antonio Wright:
Originally posted by FoxEric:
Eric

I bought mine from a local shop. Only get them if you really need to. I ran into big problem with mine. JVT knows what I am talking about.

-Antonio

What kind of problem? A good friend of mine works for them (does their website - a new and vastly improved version will be coming out in a couple of weeks). He seems to think the spacers are no problem, but I've always secretly wondered.

BTW, he also promised to look into what sort of European H&R stuff, for the Mondeo etc, might conceivably make it to the States if there was any interest. not to jump topics, but can anyone say *real* coilovers?

christopher

'99 SVT Black and stockish - except for the tow hitch, but pretend not to notice it. "I'm just gonna go find a cash machine..."
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
In reply to:

What kind of problem? [/qoute] if you go away from the factory offset you'll toast the bearings in a heartbeat. I imagine JVT wouldn't want to talk about it agian, though

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by alex_96GL:
In reply to:

What kind of problem? [/qoute] if you go away from the factory offset you'll toast the bearings in a heartbeat. I imagine JVT wouldn't want to talk about it agian, though

You are incorrect. My wheel is a 49mm offset. Over the stock brakes that is fine but with 13 inch baers you will have BIG problems. I had to purchuse a 7mm spacer for the wheel to barely clear the caliper and we had to sand the caliper down a little. A few weeks later all 4 lug studs snap on the right side wheel(not while I was driving). So I had to install longer and stronger studs, new hubs and bearings.

Total cost for everything around $700. Was it worth it...

I think it was!

-Antonio

Now I hate America? That is a new one to me.
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
In reply to:

You are incorrect.
I wish... Talk to JVT about that one too

F
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm asking because of a similar issue with caliper clearance. I have heard various horror stories over the years about spacers, but at the same time it has always seemed to me that adding spacers ideally shouldn't put any more stress on the bearings than a wheel with a smaller offset since that it is effectively what the spacer is doing. Actually, I would think that smaller offsets should help to reduce stress. However that logic only holds as long as the spacer plate is carrying load and not just the bolts (that would now have the load transferred to a longer lever arm - not good). That's one of the reasons I'd want hubcentric so that more of the load would be transferred away from the bolts onto the hub. From Antonio's feedback it sounds like if I do go with plates then I'd better upgrade the bolts at the same time. That all said, my theories about where the load is going could be a pile of trash - other opinions certainly welcomed, especially if it saves me hub work down the road! By the way, I called a local speed shop and they can order them. Thanks.
Eric

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Hmmmm. I have a theory. (but I'm no expert...)

If you push your stock wheels out 5mm, you have altered the offset and are putting extra stress on the hubs.

However, when you buy wider wheels, you'll notice that the offset changes to account for the extra width.

As an example, with simplified math, let's say your stock offset is 50mm. You buy wheels 1" wider (25mm), and they have an offset of about 40mm, a difference of almost half of the change in your wheel width.

But, let's say you found a +1" width wheel with the same offset as stock. Of course it wouldn't fit, unless you used a spacer to basically give it the offset it should have, in this case a 10mm spacer.

I don't see why this would cause any problems with the hub, and the larger offset of the wheel might allow it to clear the caliper, even though the effective offset is right where it should be.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Antonio Wright:
Originally posted by alex_96GL:
In reply to:

You are incorrect. My wheel is a 49mm offset. Over the stock brakes that is fine but with 13 inch baers you will have BIG problems. I had to purchuse a 7mm spacer for the wheel to barely clear the caliper and we had to sand the caliper down a little. A few weeks later all 4 lug studs snap on the right side wheel(not while I was driving). So I had to install longer and stronger studs, new hubs and bearings.

Total cost for everything around $700. Was it worth it...

I think it was!

-Antonio

Hell yes. Your pic reminds me of how damn good your car looks (I saw it at the Richmond meet a what...month and a half, two months ago? The one with the extended trip to the Cracker Barrel).

christopher

'99 SVT Black and stockish - except for the tow hitch, but pretend not to notice it. "I'm just gonna go find a cash machine..."

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard