Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#432457 09/15/02 01:12 AM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
ok, so let me see if I got this right, you want to be able to turn on your fans remotely? or will a switch in the car be fine? I can give you a wiring diagram for a HI/LO fan switch that would work even with the car off, if that's what you are looking for. As far as remote that's a bit more complicated.

But you really do need the electric water pump to cool the water in the engine.

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
#432458 09/15/02 05:57 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
No not "remotely". I think there would be a lot of things I would put on a remote before my fans. I am looking to install an in car switch that I could turn on after a run while my car is cooling, or when waiting in line to run. But, now that you mention it I could couple the fans with an electric waterpump, and since it should be replaced anyways "kill 2 birds with one stone"! Now an electronics question. Would there be anyway to reverse the polarity on the fans to have them suck heat away from the engine? Just a thought. Thanks guys

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
#432459 09/15/02 06:52 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by SVTMike99:
No not "remotely". I think there would be a lot of things I would put on a remote before my fans. I am looking to install an in car switch that I could turn on after a run while my car is cooling, or when waiting in line to run. But, now that you mention it I could couple the fans with an electric waterpump, and since it should be replaced anyways "kill 2 birds with one stone"! Now an electronics question. Would there be anyway to reverse the polarity on the fans to have them suck heat away from the engine? Just a thought. Thanks guys

Prolly not a good idea even if it could be done. The fan blades are curved (optimized) for drawing air through the radiator, the engine compartment (with exhaust manifolds, etc) is hotter than ambient, so you would be putting hotter air through the radiator, if you forget to return them the correct way, they will lower cooling ability because they will be fighting the air trying to get through the radiator while you drive forward. You would probably overheat your engine in attempt to do the opposite. But it never hurts to explore other ideas.

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
#432460 09/16/02 03:21 AM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I have thought about this before, and the best solution I could come up with is to put vents in the hood, near the rear, attaching fans to the inside of the hood, and turning them on to force hot air out of the engine compartment.

Dual fans would be even better one on each side

But you would have to chop up your hood a little bit... but its your choice I personally think it would look cool, but it would probably be costly. I have lots of fans, I just worry about chopping the hood up.

If you find an easy way to do this, let me know

PS, another good reason NOT to reverse the fans, is that you would be blowing HOT air on the radiator, sorta defeats the purpose

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
#432461 09/16/02 12:11 PM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by 99MercMystLS25:
I'm not trying to start anything here, but you have NO understanding of electronics and electricity...
Without using a transformer, there is now way to change the voltage from 12V...
I don't care if you put 1000 12V lines to one thing, it will still only get 12V....
So please don't argue electrics with me.

Transformers only work on AC, not DC which cars use.

If you put 1000 12v lines from different sources in series you will get 12,000 volts; in parallel, 12 volts.

If you put 2 12v connections in parallel from the same source you will only get 12v, not 24 volts. If you put them in series you get a short circuit.

No need to argue, these are the facts.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
#432462 09/16/02 02:55 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
You are correct horseydug. Though there is such a thing as a DC to DC transformer, though it requires you to oscilate the voltage.

My original point was the guy who says if you run two wires to your fans, you will get 24 Volts!!! I didnt know weather to laugh or cry... then he tried to argue the point...

Anyway, I think that's clear enough

#432463 09/16/02 03:14 PM
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
You don't get 24v from two 12v sorces. it still 12v, but now you have a higher amp flow. again, can fry the fan motor or worse the PCM. Contours have the reverse polarity protection circuit but why put it to the test?

#432464 09/16/02 03:23 PM
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Those fan are designed to draw cold air thru the radiator to draw the heat away for the engine(thats why they put it there). The oppposite way would cause your engine to overheat twice as fast by drawing hot air and blowing it over the radiator. Also, your PCM is designed to run your fans running hi/lo with info from the engine coolant temp sensor, ambient air temp sensor, a/c switch w/WOT cutout and a whole other aray of sensors that interfering with could be disasterous.

#432465 09/16/02 04:26 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Electric water pump it is . Thanks for the help guys.

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
#432466 09/17/02 03:09 AM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by 99MercMystLS25:
... there is such a thing as a DC to DC transformer, though it requires you to oscilate the voltage.
You are correct there are such solid state devices. Also electro-mechanical ones that were used in pre-solid state car radios. I've been trying to recall the proper name for them for the past couple of weeks, it's not transformer .... I keep thinking inverter but don't think that's it either.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard