Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I was coming down a hill today on campus, breaking a little bit and the all of the sudden there was this awful howling noise from the front left. It sounded like something was rubbing against something else, but I have no clue what. It sounded horrible!!! I've noticed a small rubbing sound at slower speed lately, but nothing like this. Anyone have any clue what it is? Also, my right breaklight is broken, looks like someone/thing hit it, red glass on the inside of the light with a hole about 3-4 inches wide. How much will that run me to replace? Such an awful day!

Rob T. 95 Ford Contour GL Zetec Engine Inherited from my dad, so no mods at all. One sweet ride though!
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
not sure if this is the same thing as your problem, but I had a noticeable groaning/rumbling from front left recently. Shop diagnosed as wheel bearing in need of replacement. Estimate was $225 but folks seem to think that's a bit high.

Jason current 95 Contour SE (V6) MTX owner former 96 Mystique LS V6/MTX owner
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I recently replaced a front bearing. It moaned, or groaned, or howled, when I was driving forward, or to the left, but not when I went to the right.

Could it be a brake problem? You mentioned you were braking when you first noticed it.....worn brake pads can make a lot of noise....

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
Pep Boys will do it for about $130.

GalaxyEng 95 SE MTX Electric Red 2001 Corvette Z06 Torch Red/Z06 black 2000 Lightning Red 2003 Jeep Liberty Yes, I like Red Cars!
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
See if your springs are okay...

98 GL sport (V6 MTX) The Durable Duratec? - (DMD, Metal impeller WaterPump, Synth & Stinky in the tranny)
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Howling...from springs....yeah, check your antenna too...

Wheel bearing...PM TH and see if you can do it your self.

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by mcgainer:

Wheel bearing...PM TH and see if you can do it your self.

Who is TH? If TH reads this, IM me on AIM if you have it please, thanks! SN: EnronCFO

Rob T. 95 Ford Contour GL Zetec Engine Inherited from my dad, so no mods at all. One sweet ride though!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by GalaxyEng:
Pep Boys will do it for about $130.

I'd rather have FORD work on my car BEFORE Pep Boys came anywhere near it.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
FWIW, If you can't identify a rub causing the howling sound, it may be the infamous 'moose'. This is caused by a resonance in the air intake and sounds like, well, I guess a moose groaning. There is a TH fix listed in the how-to section that typically clears this sound. The moose usually shows up as the weather gets colder. I think I cleared mine, but wont know for sure for another month or so...

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
It could be the moose, but I'm guessing not. As you said, moose is more common in colder weather - probably not cold enough yet in NY state if that's where the car is.

I think of the moose as a 'hooting' noise, almost like a foghorn in the distance.

Jason current 95 Contour SE (V6) MTX owner former 96 Mystique LS V6/MTX owner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard