Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
OP Offline
Y
So I have read all the troubleshooting headings and haven't found this problem discussed. After the infamous split plastic impeller pump was replaced in my '96 V6, the replacement pump lasted long enough to get out of warantee then started leaking at the shaft seal. I am now on my third replacement, two rebuilts (plastic impellers) and a new off brand with an iron impeller. All three have leaked, the first one from the seal again. But the second two seem to leak from the gasket or the little ball at the bottom of the pump. I have just replaced the gasket and it is still leaking at the bottom of the pump. The housing was carefully cleaned of all old gasket and a new $9.62(!) Ford gasket installed. All bolts pull up snug so it doesn't seem that the housing is cracked. It started leaking as soon as the pressure built up in the system. The leak is definitely not at the seal and it is not running around the pump. I strongly suspect the little ball thing which has no obvious function. BTW the cone discussed as an impeller breaker is tightly in place. Any Ideas??

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
pull the pump off and with a new gasket apply a thin layer of RTV to both sides of the gasket.

Then assemble and tighten the screws to the torque listed in the service manual (156 in/lbs) and wait at least 1 hour, preferably 24 hours to allow the selant to fully cure before filling with coolant.

If that doesn't work then I'd like to suggest that there is a flaw in the casting allowing a leak or the housing is cracked.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
Y
OP Offline
Y
Thanks for the torque spec which I didn't have. Also I have been using Permitex H3 not RTV. I will get another gasket and try RTV.

I am still wondering what the little ball at the bottom of the pump is. On older water pumps there was often a drain in this approximate location to protect the bearings if the seal went bad. The thing looks like a ball driven into a hole and staked in place. Maybe it is some kind of retainer to hold the bearing or seal in place. I think I will epoxy it over as well.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard