Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Excellent info guys! Thanks a million!

Jay

Happiness is not around the corner. Happiness is the Contour (SVT) of the road. ----------
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Hi guys. So my ???? is this? Say you didnt buy the car new. Mine is a 98.5 csvt with 42,000 on her an i think i'm the second owner, should ford still replace them if it is the cat's??

Say hello to the bad guy. 98.5 CSVT KKM intake,SQ system.... 2003 accord coupe 6speed. waiting for the after market to catch up....
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Just wanted to give an update for those that were following this thread a while back...

Well, it's been roughly 2-3 weeks now since I had the stock Y-pipe put back in and so far (knock on wood)
no CEL! So apparently something with the Y-pipe was causing it.

Anyway, I'm happier with it removed. Not only for the CEL, but the volume of the exhaust was just too
much for the long commute I have everyday. However, I do miss the extra pull it gave.

Thanks again for the assistance you all gave,
Jay

Happiness is not around the corner. Happiness is the Contour (SVT) of the road. ----------
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by SVT-N:
Just wanted to give an update for those that were following this thread a while back...

Well, it's been roughly 2-3 weeks now since I had the stock Y-pipe put back in and so far (knock on wood)
no CEL! So apparently something with the Y-pipe was causing it.

Anyway, I'm happier with it removed. Not only for the CEL, but the volume of the exhaust was just too
much for the long commute I have everyday. However, I do miss the extra pull it gave.

Thanks again for the assistance you all gave,
Jay

Don't jump the gun just yet. It takes a while for the catalyst test to run in OBDII. Also, I know some people have cleard the 420 code and it didn't come back for a couple of months!!!

Hopefully you have solved the problem, but the Y-pipe causing that code does not make any sense to me anyway.

I have thought it over and if the y-pipe was leaking or if the connections were loose, this would cause a 420. The Ford Service Manual states that a leak in the exhaust or a broken exhaust will trip this code.

Last edited by Ed98.5SVT; 09/19/02 05:18 PM.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Yeah, I know I probably just jinxed myself by saying anything. However, when the SHO Shop Y was on the CEL came on constistantly every 2-3 workdays. I put 60 miles a day on the car driving to and from work so it gets a lot of time to do it's testing.

I agree that the Y shouldn't have caused the problem. It probably was a leak as you suggested or my sensor is overly senesitive (going bad). Just thought I would share the info. Don't mean to mislead anyone.

Cheers,
Jay

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I knew I shouldn't of said anything! IT'S BACK!

So when the SHO y-pipe was being put on the mechanic noticed that the plastic connector between the O2 sensor and the wiring leading up to into the engine bay had at some point come into contact with heat and is pretty mutilated. This may be the problem. He told me he couldn't do anything and it would have to be handled at the dealer due the the complete wiring needing to be replaced.

Can I try bypassing that connector and splicing the wires together or does it do something other than just connect?

Any suggestions (other than not speaking too soon)?

Thanks,
Jay

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
If you can solder, get a harness from a junk yard and splice in the replacement for the damaged section.

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard