Print Thread
#426284 09/01/02 04:47 AM
G
gas199 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
Car is a 99 SVT with 48K. Car has a clunk in rear every time I go over a small but sharp bump. Very annoying and passengers question whats wrong back there.

So I search for common problems and find out sway bars and struts. I examine mine and find that one strut is leaking oil.
So the sway bar bushing replaced (verified brackets etc) all is good as new.
New sway bar end-links
Triple check the brake cable routing etc. looks great
And today I replace the rear struts(actually an easy job) and the strut that was leaking oil..yes in real bad shape.
Examine everything closely..appears to be in good shape..Get everything bolted up...take out the spare and all that stuff..and go for the ride.

Go over bumps..clunk.clunk..clunk............geeeeeeeeeesch no change.

Any suggestions? (greatly appreciated)

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
check this thread, it fixed one of my squeaks/clunks

E0 SVT, lightly modded
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I thought that I had a rear clunk going over bumps at slow speeds. It turned out to be the FRONT sway bar links. The ends get worn and a clunk occurs. Not bad to replace. Most Ford dealers stock them in the $20 each range.

G
gas199 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
Very sure its from the back...will double check the front.
Only thing in the rear that could look a little worn was the tie links on the side that it attaches to the chassis?? Anyone else ever have these changed???

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
If you have the original rubber bushings in the lower rear arms that accept the link from the sway bars, that could be it. They look like grommets with grooves on the sides when new. After a few years they flatten. They are straight foward to replace. I can provide some tips if you decide to do them. The dealers stock them, about $5 each.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Alkraut:
If you have the original rubber bushings in the lower rear arms that accept the link from the sway bars, that could be it. They look like grommets with grooves on the sides when new. After a few years they flatten. They are straight foward to replace. I can provide some tips if you decide to do them. The dealers stock them, about $5 each.

One of those grommet things completely split on my car. It was flattened too. They are awkward to replace as the rubber is tough and it is hard to compress it enough to fit the new one into the hole.

Patience and strong thumbs are key !

Good luck.

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard