Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Well, I'm coming up on 50K on my car, so I think I should spend the 60 some-odd dollars to get a new water pump and save a huge headache. My question is, (to those who have changed their pumps out) how have your belts been? I haven't checked mine (I probably will today), but do you think it's a good time to go ahead and replace the belt. If so, anyone got a part number?

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I replaced both my failed waterpumps in May, belts ok and not replaced (approx 70k miles). Replacements were metal impeller.

p.s. Your wp should have white plastic impeller not the infamous disintegrating black plastic.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
I
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I
there are 2 belts, one for the water pump, which is quite small, and the serpentine belt on the other side of the engine. I would definitely replace the wp belt, since you have to take it off to change the pump. Examine the serp belt, and if it looks dry with lots of cracks or sections of rubber missing, change it also. This one can always be done independently since it has nothing to do with the waterpump at all. I would change the thermostat & o-ring when doing the pump, since you have that area accessible. When you have the wp impeller section removed, check the metal plate (cone) that's in the housing that remains on the engine for signs of looseness. If it's loose in any way, go back to the parts store and buy the complete water pump assembly. Then you'll really be good to go!

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Does anyone know when they switched to the White impeller, and/or know how to tell if you water pump has the white impeller? (short of taking it off and looking, obviously )

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
Best guess that I can come up with is the 99 model year(and later) has the white plastic. I am waiting for people to chime in that have a 99 or 2000 and had a waterpump failure. I seem to read that it is all the previous years.(maybe the later years just dont have the mileage yet???). Jump in if you have a 99 or 2000 with a water pump failure

I
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I
Mine is a '99, built in Oct of '98, and had the white impeller. Replaced it at 45,000 miles, and appeared to be in very good condition.

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
i have a 99SE with 66k, no pump blowage yet

1999 T-Red Contour SE Sport S&B Filter Custom 2.25 exhaust with magnaflow parts. Focus 16" Rims
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
hmmm...is the white plastic better than the black? maybe it's more durable. that'd be interesting to find out. either way, it's still plastic
the cougar has a metal impellar, right? either way, Ford still know's it goofed.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
99 se 72k on the clock no problems

Knock on wood

G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
Would be willing to bet that the cougar has the white plastic water pump impellar

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard